Nancy Burson

Published: Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Artist, scientist and healer Nancy Burson gave a lecture on her past and present work Tuesday afternoon at the Konover Auditorium.

Burson's "Human Race Machine" is currently in the Benton's new Human Rights Gallery, and will be displayed until August 7.

Salvatore Scalora, Director of the Benton Art Museum, introduced Burson and gave a brief outline of her work. Once Burson was formally introduced, she had a moment of silence and then she began the lecture by saying who she was and what she does. She's the woman who invented morphing. She successfully helped the FBI to find missing children based on her age morphing technology, she's also taught at NYU and Harvard.

"That is who I am, that is what I do ... I am also a healer. I can bring in energy from all different dimensions," she said.

Although many of the audience members expected her to further describe her work concerning the Human Race Machine, Burson instead talked about her exploration into the metaphysical world.

"I think it's amazing to be where I am; it's an incredible universe ... If you see what I see every day, you'd know," she said.

Burson described how she became interested in healing. She'd been very sick and wasn't getting much help from medical science, so she turned to healers, who successfully cured her. After her experience with the healers, she set out to capture the healing process and healing energy on film. She became a healer herself from spending so much time amongst other healers.

There was some skepticism regarding her talk. "I can't support uneducated claims," said Ben Haynes, an 11th-semester design major.

Connecting her metaphysical work with the Human Race Machine, Burson said, "My work from the last 25 years (has been) asking people to see differently." For example, she said, "What would happen if you could look at a child with a cranial/facial deformity and not see that deformity?"

The same premise can be applied to her work with energy healing. Burson showed a series of photographs, which included orbs of light, or "plasma orbs," she said were similar to "lightning in a different dimension." Burson said the orbs congregate over places of consciousness.

Burson suggested taking a camera out at night and shooting some pictures using the flash to help the audience see the orbs for ourselves, however Burson did say it was necessary to distinguish the dust, rain and bugs from real orbs.

"It was very interesting...she was very confident with what she was saying, considering the topic," said Anedith Dejesus Diaz, a 2nd-semester history major. Dejesus Diaz explained how Burson's new work is being displayed in NYC, and many other galleries. "Whether they believe her or not, they respect her," Diaz said.

A highlight of her lecture was the information regarding her new book, "Focus" which is presently in the process of being considered for a new motion picture. She played the promo of the possible book-based film. The film centers on the work and personas of Burson's teachers and contemporaries, including Derek O'Neill, Starr Fuentes and Isabelle Kingston. The promo also extensively discussed crop circles and their origination, a mystery Burson considers "one of the world's greatest."

After the lecture there was a question and answer period followed by demonstrations of visible aura and a participation activity where audience members were supposed to feel energy. Burson was a resident at the university all day yesterday, and will be here today at the graduate studio and then at the museum with grad students.

Closing the lecture, Burson stressed, "It's all about expanding your vision," saying that meditation helps, and that it's also important to "keep asking."