Pumpkins, pumpkins everywhere

Published: Monday, November 3, 2008

11-3 pumpkinfest by chase.jpg

Chase Smith

Students partake in pumpkin carving contest at Pumpkinfest on Fairfield Way.

Halloween was celebrated on Fairfield Way with the 2nd annual Pumpkin Fest held by Alpha Lambda Delta, which ran from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday.

The Pumpkin Fest celebrates Halloween's icon, the pumpkin, with a pumpkin pie eating contest and a pumpkin carving contest, although this year the pie eating contest had to be cancelled because it was not feasible at this time due to problems with Dining Services. Students were able to purchase a pumpkin for $2 and the carving materials were provided.

The winners of the pumpkin carving contest were Christie Barbera in first place, Matthew Debacco in second, Pasquale & Yao (John) Ming in third and finally Jason Zheng as the honorable mention. They were judged by Matthew Cecil, Mathematics Professor & ALD Faculty of the Year Award Winner; Christine Wilson, associate dean of students; Stephen Rhodes, executive assistant to President Hogan; John Saddlemire, vice president of student affairs; and Joseph Briody, associate director of student development and learning.

The first-place winners of the contest received a $50 Visa gift card and second and third-place winners received $25 Visa gift cards. A Halloween goodie bag was awarded to the honorable mention. The contestants were judged on creativity and how well the pumpkin was carved. Jonathan the Husky was a favorite of many carvers as well as the traditional Jack-o-Lantern-style pumpkin face.

The event had a steady flow according to Alpha Lambda Delta co-president, Elyssa Millspaugh, a 5th-semester journalism and English double major.

"It's been pretty steady," she said. People have been coming all day to carve pumpkins."

The contest was open to everyone, including families. In addition to pumpkin carving, there were T-shirts and food. Students were able to try some of UConn Dairy Bar's pumpkin ice cream, as well as cookies, apples and hot chocolate.

Alpha Lambda Delta is looking forward to getting its name out and having this event next Halloween.

The event was held as a fundraiser event for the organization, which is an honors society for first year students who achieved a GPA of 3.5 or more at UConn.