Action needed to fix parking problems

Published: Tuesday, September 9, 2003

The parking situation has long been a problem on this campus. It has been for so long that most students can't remember a time that there was no parking problem. With increased enrollment, the problem has only been exacerbated. It's not uncommon to find cars circling in full parking lots, almost prowling, trying to edge each other out for a coveted spot. Even the pavement just past the marked spots can often be found to have a car. When a pedestrian wanders into the lot, he or she will often find a car following close behind, in hopes that they will soon find a vacant spot. In the mornings, just before 7 a.m., many students rush to remove their cars from employee lots to search for legal parking. Many students know the pain of long searches for legal spots, only to have to park far from their dorms or simply accept a ticket, or both. Students waste hours of their busy lives just to park. Quite frankly, the situation is ridiculous. Last year, the university worsened the problem when it removed 100 spots from S-Lot to put in a road, then turned the rest of that side lot into faculty parking. Now, along with taking down the old Co-op, the university has demolished the parking lot beside it. This decision was ill-advised and only shows poor foresight on the part of the university administration. It's high time to make the situation right. It's time for serious action to end the parking problem on campus. Now, let it not be said that The Daily Campus complained without offering solutions. We offer the following suggestions: First, the university might allow cars with student parking passes to park for free between certain times on weekdays so they won't have to park illegally and be ticketed. That way, the garages can also be free for visitor parking during sports games. Second, the employee parking lots often have free space. The university might open these lots to students, or at least convert a few to student parking. These are just a few ideas. We are sure that others can find other solutions as well. The parking problem has been around long enough. It's time to solve it with real action, once and for all.