Friends Start Fraternity From Scratch

Published: Thursday, January 25, 2007

After a casual conversation about frats on-campus, Nick Carroll and his friends turned what originally started out as a joke into the father chapter of Lambda Lambda Lambda, inspired by the movie "Revenge of the Nerds."

Carroll, a 4th-semester psychology and English major, said it was the discussion of what fraternities have turned into lately that sparked their interest in starting one of their own. Carroll said it's a fun and social fraternity, which he called a network of support.

What had already been offered for frat life didn't interest Carroll.

"It shouldn't be a stress to be in a frat," Carroll said, "The openness of our frat is what I love."

Starting a fraternity is not as hard as people might think, he said.

Like most students, Andrew Firger, a 6th-semester communication major, thought a lot more work was entailed in creating an organization on-campus.

"It's probably something most people wouldn't go out and do, thinking it was too much of a hassle," Firger said.

The Department of Student Affairs requires that new student organizations take five steps in order to register their group. Of the five, Carroll found drafting a constitution to be the only labor- intensive aspect, but still, not difficult by any means.

"The hardest part is getting people to take [Lambda Lambda Lambda] seriously, especially when it's a joke to begin with," Carroll said.

Lambda Lambda Lambda currently has 10 brothers, nine male and one female. They plan to rush this Friday, Carroll said, and are expecting about 30 to participate.

Carroll's fraternity cannot be recognized by Greek Life since they are the first chapter and are considered a special interest group. However, there are 36 recognized Greek fraternities and sororities on-campus. To go along with that, there are 350 other groups including 112 academic groups, 35 cultural groups and 33 club sports, according to the Department of Student Activities.

Numbers seem to suggest a positive increase in student involvement at UConn, according to Joseph Briody, associate director of the Involvement Office.

"Campus involvement is on the uprise of over 40 percent in the last five years," Briody said. "People get more and more ideas of things they want to do. I had someone interested in starting a hot air balloon club the other day."

Briody said there's a big rush of new groups in the fall but they do continue to come about throughout the year. With some degree of turn over from graduation and overall changes, Briody said still about 75 percent of the groups return the next year.

"We try to make it as easy as possible to start a group," Briody said. "You need eight members, a constitution, officers, and some paperwork."

In terms of funding, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) is at the service of any registered group and are very supportive, Briody said.

Briody encourages students interested in getting involved to attend next week's Involvement Fair.