GoodSearch Funds Environmental Groups

Published: Friday, April 21, 2006

According to the Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization, Internet search engines generated close to $6 billion in advertising revenue in 2005. Two Internet entrepreneurs, brothers Ken and JJ Ramberg of Los Angeles, Calif., have created a way for searchers to donate a fraction of that money to make the world a better place.

Ken and JJ Ramberg have developed a new search engine, GoodSearch.com, in memory of their mother, Connie, who died of cancer. The brothers wanted to link the power of a search engine to charitable giving.

GoodSearch.com, powered by Yahoo, donates 50 percent of its revenue to a charity of the Internet searcher's choice. For every search conducted, GoodSearch.com receives roughly two cents. Though this may seem like a very small profit, pennies add up quickly. According to the web site, "Just 500 people searching four times a day will earn approximately $7,300 for a designated organization."

This search engine has funded thousands of organizations, including UConn groups and environmental organizations. This week, the web site has put an emphasis on the environmental organizations because Earth Day is April 22. The web site encourages users to "save the earth, one search at a time."

Success of GoodSearch.com proves that it is making a difference. Sue Citro, Digital Membership Manager for The Nature Conservancy, said "GoodSearch has come up with an innovative way to help organizations raise awareness and build support for the important environmental issues that affect everyone of us."

Citro said she is glad the search engine's donation capabilities bring online communities together on Earth Day "to preserve our world for future generations." The Nature Conservancy is honored today as the Charity of the Day on GoodSearch.

Some other environmental groups on GoodSearch are Conservation International, the Waterkeeper Alliance, Heal the Bay, One Percent for the planet and the Student Conservation Association.

Student groups at UConn are also considering using the web site to raise funds for environmental issues.

After hearing about the web site, Katie Gherard, a 4th-semester environmental science major and a co-coordinator of the EcoHusky student group on campus, said "it sounds like a good idea that we can hopefully participate in."

She will propose the idea of adding the organization onto the GoodSearch list of charities at the next meeting.

EcoHusky only recently set up a bank account and only has money in it from the April 9 first annual EcoHusky 5000 Road Race. The extra money would benefit the group because they do a lot with community outreach. For example, for Earth Day, they are raising awareness about the benefits of biodiesel fuel, a cleaner fuel made from vegetable oil. The band Guster uses biodiesel in their tour bus, and they will be at the Co-op on Saturday with EcoHusky's display.

Members of another environmental group on campus, the Environmental Science Club, were interested in GoodSearch.com. Anthony Wasley, a 4th-semester environmental science major, is a member of both EcoHusky and the Environmental Science Club, but he is more active in the Environmental Science Club.

He said the Environmental Science Club "is a brand new club that has no money." This club is more involved in the environmental science major, but it also does clean-ups around campus and sponsors trips such as hiking and caving.

About GoodSearch.com, Wasley said they "would be up for that." "We are thankful for anything that we can get ... and we would like to expand," he said.

Creator Ken Ramberg is very enthusiastic about the web site and truly believes in the cause.

"We are very excited about the potential for GoodSearch to generate a significant amount of funding for thousands