Aerosmith has not lost their touch, ‘crafting new tunes that continue to rock’

Published: Wednesday, November 7, 2012

It’s been almost a full decade since the release of Aerosmith’s last album, “Honkin’ on Bobo,” way back in 2004.  Since then, the group has gone through the usual slew of break up rumors, Joe Perry has released two solid solo albums and Steven Tyler has recently finished a two year stint on the popular television program “American Idol.”  Finally, the bad boys from Boston are back with some brand new material for their new album “Music from Another Dimension!”  

Do these old rockers still rock and roll or is it about time to call it a career?

Fans of the band can be relieved and take solace in the fact that  “Music from Another Dimension!” contains everything you love about Aerosmith.  Different songs are each reminiscent on tones the band adopted in the 70s, 80s and 90s.  

The album’s three opening tracks are all classic Aerosmith rock out tunes. “Luv Xxx,” “Oh Yeah” and “Beautiful” will all be sweet, sweet music to the ears of any fan waiting for some more classic Aerosmith material.

Other highlights on the album include “Street Jesus,” “Freedom Fighter” and “Another Long Goodbye.”  If nothing else, the album is undeniable proof of Perry’s ability to jam and Tyler’s to holler (and sing) just as well after all these years. Fans of Carrie Underwood will enjoy the singer’s decent yet unremarkable guest appearance in “Can’t Stop Lovin’ You.”

Unfortunately, at times the album will drift into psychedelic melodies, keeping the beat down and just when you’d expect the song to kick into high gear such as in “Walk this Way.” The album’s sometimes nostalgic lyrics as well the few songs reminiscent of past hits fall on the ground due to repetitiveness; it’s the same old song and dance.

For the unconverted however, “Music from Another Dimension!” will not win any new fans.  Whereas Aersomith’s guitar riffs and style may have been revolutionary decades ago, you can only repeat those same melodies and styles with new lyrics for so long.  That being said, if you’ve been digging that same style for a long time, you’ll likely be pleased with these results.  Most importantly, “Music from Another Dimension!” despite its flaws, proves that unlike some other rock bands which keep touring by playing the same old ancient hits, Aerosmith remains a contemporary band, occasionally crafting new tunes that continue to rock.