Alternatives for staying awake for finals week

Campus Correspondant

Published: Sunday, December 2, 2012

As finals are quickly approaching, students are began to prepare for their extended hibernation at our favorite Homer Babbidge Library. Studying is hard. Sitting at a desk reading, memorizing and processing information for hours on end is certainly a difficult task. Many will search for helpful means of helping them along with this process. Adderoll and other “study boosters” are a popular option, but lets be honest, is that really healthy or necessary for those who are not prescribed? Students are forgetting about an obvious alternative, coffee!

Some say that coffee isn’t enough to help them through finals week, but here’s some good news: coffee won’t just help you stay awake and focused, but it will also provide various health benefits. 

Scientists have been researching the topic for years hoping to prove that coffee is not good for your health. Well, that backfired. It is now widely accepted that our favorite cup of morning joe is, in fact, good for you and your health.

Studies consistently prove that coffee drinkers, compared to non-coffee drinkers, are less likely to develop type 2 diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, dementia, and will also reduce your risk of certain cases of cancers, heart rhythm problems and stroke. Of course, it is hard to project exact figures. There are numerous outside and personal factors that can affect health, such as diet, exercise and genetics. And also these studies never proved that coffee will completely prevent the aforementioned conditions. But, on a whole, scientists have come to the consensus that coffee is beneficial.

According to the World Resources Institution, an average American consumed 4,168 ounce cups of coffee in 2009. Clearly the beverage is popular, but not everyone feels the same caffeine-related effects. Well here’s a tip: dark roast coffee beans are lower in caffeine than lighter roasts. But also on top of that, the darker roasts contain more beneficial compounds as well. In addition, drinking whole beans that are pesticide-free will aid in maintaining brain and muscle tissues. 

Coffee is a great drink to take advantage of during finals week. It has caffeine to help keep you up, and it has plenty of health benefits too. As long as you monitor the amount of sugar and cream you add, it is very healthy too. So just keep this in mind before deciding how you will focus in the library.