Bono donates profits of new single to ‘RED’ campaign

Published: Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Updated: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 23:02

U2’s recent single “Invisible” has been having a visible impact on the fight against AIDS over the past couple of days. RED, an organization co-founded by Bono and Bobby Shriver in 2006, raises funds through clothing sales and other outlets—in this case music. The new U2 single was on iTunes as a free single over the course of Sunday through Monday and is currently being sold via iTunes for $1.29, where the proceeds still go to the RED campaign.

Rolling Stone says that Bank of America has promised to contribute a dollar to the campaign for every download and will contribute up to a total of $8 million for the cause if the downloads meet that number. According to Rolling Stone, the money raised will go to “(RED)’s charitable recipient, the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.”

The track was debuted during the Super Bowl. Bono told USA Today, “We’re taking all the energy around the Super Bowl and interest in what U2’s doing and flipping it into the fight against HIV AIDS.” Just looking at Twitter, you could see the rising trend of fans and celebrities promoting the iTunes link trying to get the word out.

The RED Twitter (@RED) posted on Tuesday that $3,144,477 was raised from the campaign, which “Equals over 7.8MM days of life-saving HIV pills.”

Seeing these tangible effects that music can have when changing the world for the better is beyond inspiring. Bono has been a paramount player within the community of philanthropic musicians, using his notoriety and resources to help those who deserve our attention.

In “Invisible,” Bono sings, “I’m more than you know, I’m more than you see, I’m more than you let me be,” preaching the fact that there are so many people outcasted and underplayed as humans, but have so much more to offer than what their condition can ever take away. He continues to sing, “There is no them, there is no them, there’s only us” uniting us all as people working together to fight against what ails our fellow global citizens.

This song and movement radiates the fact that every life is worth fighting for. As much as the profits made from the song will benefit the RED campaign against AIDS, the lyrics in “Invisible” can be just as powerful in the fight. Like many other U2 songs, this track’s lyrics have the potential to spark a movement and unite us all in sound, mind and heart.