Bruno Mars and The Red Hot Chili Peppers to perform during Super Bowl Halftime Show

Published: Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Updated: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 22:01

On Sunday Feb. 2, Bruno Mars will be headlining the Pepsi Super Bowl XLVIII Halftime Show. The Red Hot Chili Peppers will prelude his performance.

The Super Bowl will be played at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey and the weather forecasts have been one for the count: Sunday’s game is expected to start in the 30s and drop to the low 20s. This cold could be a problem for the performers. Mars lived in Hawaii until his high school graduation, at which point he relocated to Los Angeles: two warm places. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have been known for performing with limited clothing. First and foremost, their performances may be hindered by the rough weather, however, they are expected to endure the cold and perform with usual—if not enhanced—intensity.

Besides the weather though, the show itself should be one for records. Mars has accumulated 13 Grammy Award nominations, sold over 45 million singles, and has over a billion YouTube views. However, Mars’ invitation to The Red Hot Chili Peppers should cement the show’s success. The band has been together since 1983, accruing seven Grammy Awards and selling over 80 million records worldwide. Together, the artist and the group have experience and popularity, which should lead to an exciting show.

In past years, artists with similar abilities have headlined the halftime show to great success and great failure. 
In 2012, Madonna broke the all-time record for most viewers when 144 million people tuned in. She invited special guests LMFAO, Nicki Minaj, M.I.A. and Cee Lo Green, suggesting that multiple performers may lead to greater popularity. Since then, Madonna’s show has yet to be outdone.

In 2013, Beyoncé took to the stage, generating 299,000 tweets per minute. Her performance featured the reunion of Destiny’s Child and received three Emmy Award nominations. Although a successful performance, the intrigue spiked after Beyoncé left the stage. Just moments after the show, half of the stadium’s lighting went out, which aroused another onslaught of tweets and social media commotion. The Los Angeles Times highlighted tweets: “Just plug a generator into Beyonce’s hips, problem solved” (Maureen O’Connor) and “If you liked it you should’ve put a backup generator on it” (Joe Schmidt). Although the NFL and Mercedes-Benz Superdrome in New Orleans released nothing about the loss of power, reporter James Brown suggested a power surge was to blame. However, New Orleans hooked up its plentiful supply of generators and had the game playing again in a mere 34 minutes.

As to the worst halftime shows, Super Bowl XXXVIII (2004) was broadcasted live from Houston Texas and has since lived in infamy. Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson were performing when a wardrobe malfunction occurred and led to the incident now referred to as “Nipplegate”. This unexpected turn of events led to immediate repercussions. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) fined CBS $550,000, which turned into a Supreme Court case; it was only revolved in 2012. America’s halftime show became a topic of discussion across the world and “Janet Jackson” became the most searched term, event, and photo of that year and the one following. Her name eventually entered the Guinness World Records in 2007 as the most searched term ever.

Despite all the commotion of past Super Bowl halftime shows, this year should be one for the count. Perhaps the combination of Bruno Mars and The Red Hot Chili Peppers will be able to break the past records of Madonna or Beyoncé without the career ending mayhem of Janet Jackson. So tune in this Sunday for Pepsi’s Super Bowl XLVIII Halftime Show and find out what is in store.