Catch up on some of the hotttest comics on the internet

Published: Thursday, February 20, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 20, 2014 22:02

Nearly everyone has read a webcomic somewhere on the internet; they have become unavoidable by the sheer amount of them that now exist. Some webcomics have garnered massive popularity. “Penny Arcade” and “XKCD” set the bar for webcomic success being two of the most read comics on the internet. Of course not every webcomic gets the large audience that these two do, but many are just as deserving.

“Cyanide & Happiness” is one such webcomic illustrated by Kris Wilson, Rob DenBleyker, Matt Melvin and Dave McElfatrick. The generally disturbing title really explains the concept for this webcomic as it delves deeply into the genre of black comedy. Controversial topics are the vehicles that drive the jokes in this webcomic, along with a healthy dose of satire and word humor. Though it is not praised for its “slightly better than stickfigure” art, “Cyanide and Happiness” offers controversial jokes in the funniest way possible.

“Nedroid” is a particularly unique webcomic illustrated by Anthony Clark. The humor is a mix of nonsense, silliness and whimsical fun. Reginald, a human sized bird, and Beartato, a bear akin to a potato, are the main characters of this webcomic, but there is no story to follow. Instead Reginald, Beartato and a number of silly recurring characters mess around in a bizarre world to create uniquely fun humor.

“Nerd Rage,” illustrated by Andy Kluthe, is one of the plethora of video game webcomics out there. This webcomic spends most of its pages poking fun at video games, but more generally focuses on nerd culture. As the title suggests this webcomic brings up common tropes and issues that often anger nerds. “Nerd Rage” has a very niche humor, but is hysterically aware of its fanbase.

“Paranatural,” illustrated by Zack Morrison, is much more narrative driven than the other webcomics mentioned. Superpowers, ghosts and a sharp wit all combine to create the story of Max’s journey with the Paranatural Activity club and a world filled with monsters and spirits. The art and writing both stand out in this webcomic. The humor is brilliantly sarcastic and every character is fun to follow as well as impressively illustrated. “Paranatural” has quality expected only of top comic industries.

“Cucumber Quest” is another narrative driven webcomic illustrated by Gigi D.G.. The story follows cute, bunny-eared kids on an adventure, specifically one bunny-eared kid named Cucumber who is reluctantly sent on a quest to defeat the legendary Nightmare Knight. The world is silly and cute, but the story itself takes some original spins on the common questing plotline. When it comes to coloring “Cucumber Quest” has a mastery that no other webcomic mentioned even comes close to and if the fun story doesn’t keep your interest then the colors should.

Reading webcomics is a fun hobby and it will not take long for you to catch up. It is something to look forward to each week, and there are so many that you can always find new ones.