Club Hockey splits games with pair of Boston schools

Published: Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The UConn club men’s ice hockey team had a pair of games over the weekend, one against Boston University and one against Northeastern. The Huskies split the two games, losing 7-3 to Northeastern Friday night and beating BU 5-3 on Saturday night. UConn now has a record of 13-3, and is ranked second according to the most recent ACHA Division II rankings.

“Overall I was pleased with our effort over the weekend,” head coach Chris Myers said. “We took a small nap during the Northeastern game and it cost us. We need to remember that these games and the season go by quickly, and you have to play hard every shift. Both games were hard fought.”
“Northeastern has a strong team, and they showed us on Friday that we need to be ready to go and play our position to have a chance to win. BU played us hard on Saturday, however we brought our A game, and our forwards did a great job working down low and getting pucks to the net.”
As has been the case for the entire season, the Huskies’ top forward line had a very solid weekend. Senior forward Miles Winter (26 points), and junior forwards Rui Encarnacao (21 points) and Paul Cinquegrana (22 points) have formed a dynamic offensive triumvirate, and their stellar play has been a key to UConn’s success.

“The top line played well on both nights,” Myers said. “Miles had two goals on Friday, and Paul had two goals on Saturday.”
Coach Myers was also quick turn the spotlight on freshman goalie Andrew Furbush, who put together a solid one-goal outing on Saturday night en route to a victory.

“Our defense did a great job of limiting BU’s scoring chances, playing a physical game which meant BU spent less time in our end,” Myers said. “Andrew played well on Saturday also.”
The Huskies have two more games prior to the winter break one on Friday at 8 p.m. against Northeastern, and another Saturday at 8:30 p.m. against Central Connecticut.

“Over the break the boys will have some time off to enjoy the holidays and eat some turkey,” Myers said. “They will be getting on the ice at least once a week to keep the hands and legs sharp. Other than that, we won't have a structured schedule till the season starts back up on Jan. 20.”