Column: Su-burr Bowl

Published: Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Updated: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 23:01

With it being the week of Super Bowl, I felt it was my journalistic duty to write about football. However, I’m not going to bombard you with yet another prediction of who will win, or analyze which team deserves the title more. Instead, I will talk about the weather.

Don’t get me wrong, I like how the Super Bowl gets passed around from stadium to stadium, but was it really a surprise that there was an enormous possibility that it could snow and be bone-chilling cold in New Jersey throughout the winter months?
If you have been following the weather or news at all this week, kickoff on Super Bowl Sunday is said to be around freezing temperature with a mix of snow and rain, which has everyone in a frenzy. The NFL made a statement saying the game could be moved to Friday or Saturday due to the possible bad weather conditions. There was even an option that the game could be pushed back to Monday. The NFL said that it could change the date of the game 48 hours before kickoff and the time of the game 24 hours before kickoff if necessary.

The snow and frigid conditions aren’t just impacting the date of the Super Bowl; it’s packing a punch on ticket sales as well. According to Forbes and the ticket search engine SeatGeek, in the last 48 hours the average price paid for Super Bowl XLVIII tickets was $2,505. That is down almost $1,000 from the average price of $3,439 paid for the same tickets only three days ago. The last several Super Bowls have been in relatively warm areas like New Orleans, Texas and Arizona, so it is no surprise that people aren’t dropping thousands of dollars to sit in the cold.

Moving the Super Bowl would break a long-lasting tradition. It wouldn’t be the same if it was Super Bowl Friday or Monday. Although Super Bowl parties would be that much better on a Friday or Saturday, I still think it should stay on a Sunday. Sundays are meant to be for relaxing and watching football all day, it wouldn’t be right to make it any other day of the week.

However, when we are arguing about moving the game to a different day, I truly think we are focusing on irrelevant details and completely missing the whole idea of what it means to play football. Players are supposed to be tough; the two teams who made it to the Super Bowl got there for a reason. They should be ready to play through anything. Also, Denver and Seattle aren’t ideal weather locations either, so these two teams should be used to the harsh conditions.

You don’t get to the Super Bowl and change when it will be played because the conditions won’t be that great. It just doesn’t make sense. To me, football is supposed to be played in the cold fall and winter months. That is what part of the game is all about. That is always how it has been.

I understand that there could be a potential risk factor if the weather is that bad, but if it is bearable the game should still go on. Unless players can’t see a few yards in front of them because it’s snowing too much, I think they should play. Granted it may be a terribly sloppy game, but it is still the Super Bowl.

CBS Denver couldn’t have said it better, “It’s Super Bowl Sunday, I think Vince Lombardi would roll over in his grave. The Vince Lombardi trophy came from Lambeau Field and it’s the coldest stadium in football.”
The best of the best are battling for the biggest award in the NFL. These teams should be willing to do anything for this championship title… even play in the snow.