Blue vs. White: There is no need to report on celebrities’ personal affairs

Staff Columnist

Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012

The life of the modern celebrity is glamorized to the highest degree. To be like them, to wear the same name brand clothing, to drive nice cars and to be effortlessly fabulous at any time of the day is what we all aspire to. Just having all of the attention is something that we desire – but only to a certain degree.

A celebrity having their privacy constantly prodded is not okay, and it shouldn’t be accepted as easily as it is. On every magazine cover you see in the supermarket or at a drug store, there are bold words exclaiming what is going on in a celebrity’s life, especially in their love lives. This is ridiculous.

Let’s take a look at what differentiates a famous person and a celebrity before I delve further into this issue. To be famous is to be “known about by many people,” according to the New Oxford American Dictionary. A celebrity is simply “a famous person; the state of being well known,” according to the New Oxford American Dictionary. However, the Latin root, “celeber,” means “frequented or honored.”

Americans place this term "celebrity” upon famous people that we just can’t get enough of, and I don’t think that it’s fair to them. We’re constantly celebrating them like it’s their birthday every day, when they don’t want cake all the time. This is true especially when it comes to their personal lives, and more specifically, their love lives.

Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez recently split up, and the media has gone absolutely mad. Yes, Bieber and Gomez are very famous people, especially to their younger audience, but they really need their own space. I don’t understand why it is such a huge shock that they broke up in the first place. They’re young adults and they’re human beings. People break up; it’s life, it’s natural and there’s no reason to go crazy over two people who went through this ordinary process. It’s no one else’s right to know what exactly happened to end their relationship.

For Rihanna and Chris Brown’s situation, on the other hand, that’s not so much private.

Radio host Big Boy on Power 106 FM, recently interviewed Brown, where the host asked him about his relationship with Rihanna, and more specifically if they were back together. He simply replied, “No,” and expressed how people he deems as nosy “need to shut the hell up” about all of the rumors and talk about them.

After watching the whole interview, I respect Brown’s position and I have to give it to the guy. Brown is trying to make it right, and I could tell that he has grown a lot more mature. Unfortunately, he violated the law by abusing Rihanna.

Once he did that, their private life situation instantly became public information. He is on the books for the rest of his life for domestically abusing Rihanna, and this case now is free information for anyone. Anything regarding him and Rihanna is going to be scrutinized under a magnifying glass because of what he did, and that’s just something he has to deal with for the rest of his life. He no longer has the right to have privacy regarding his “friendship” with Rihanna.

Moving on to other privacy issues with celebrities, the Kate Middleton uproar with her naked photos hit a nerve in me. Middleton was sunbathing with her husband Prince William on a balcony in southern France, in private and totally oblivious to paparazzi skulking in the bushes somewhere. It must have been so devastating to walk down the street and see yourself naked on the cover of a magazine when you thought you were safe in a private area. She didn’t ask for that, but the whole nation indulged and scrambled like mad to get a glimpse of these photos. It’s unethical for the paparazzi and for all of the readers who bought those magazines.

Everyone needs to remember that these celebrities are people, too, and they need their space. Invading celebrities’ privacy needs to stop. Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.