Editorial: The Daily Campus welcomes new freshmen

Published: Thursday, August 23, 2012

Welcome to the beginning of a brand new school year at UConn. As incoming freshmen, it’s possible that you’re unfamiliar with what it is you’re reading. The Daily Campus has been the University of Connecticut’s official student-run newspaper since 1896. It has been known by many different titles such as “The Lookout” and “The Connecticut Campus” but has had the same mission throughout, to bring UConn the best content possible.

Since the paper’s humble beginnings, students with a variety of interests have found a home with The Daily Campus, which covers everything from news to arts and entertainment to sports. Our staff has worked tirelessly for generations to bring the students of this university the best possible writing with the best possible journalistic integrity. Semester after semester our staff returns in order to be there at UConn’s best and worst moments so that the history of our school can be recorded. The Daily Campus was there when our men’s basketball team won the NCAA Championship in 1999, 2004 and 2011 and we were there for the untimely passing of students on our campus. Our writers have covered topics ranging from “The Beatles” rise to prominence in America to the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal.

The Daily Campus has the largest circulation of any college newspaper in the state and the third largest in New England, fewer only than The Daily Collegian (UMass-Amherst) and The Harvard Crimson (Harvard University). This means that each day, students can pick up a copy of the Daily Campus and read about the latest news, reviews, opinions, comics, sports and, of course, students’ musings in the InstantDaily.

This year we look to continue bringing readers news about our campus and students with our team of talented and committed writers. The Daily Campus offers readers the chance to stay up-to-date on news as it relates to collegiate life. What’s more, is that we offer readers the opportunity to join our team and have their work read by a potential audience of thousands of people each day. Our sections are split into News, which covers the campus; Focus, which covers arts and entertainment; Sports, which covers UConn athletics as well as national teams and Commentary, which offers opinion writing and letters to the editor.

The Daily Campus would like to welcome all new students and returning students to another year of opportunity at UConn. We would also like to invite everyone to get involved with one of the school’s oldest institution and show your Husky pride by recording its history each day and contribute to the work of the generations of committed journalists whose bylines have been printed here over the years.