Editorial: UConn Daily Digest has proved to be an indispensable tool

Published: Monday, December 3, 2012

DC Logo

The Daily Campus

The Student Daily Digest has generally been an effective tool for communicating important university events, announcements, lectures and more since its implementation last year. Current freshmen and sophomores will not remember the constant onslaught of official university messages that occurred prior to this consolidation method, often several per day. Now the daily noontime list of things to know has become an indispensable tool for all students who take advantage of its listings.

One minor change we would recommend is an extension of the window in which students or other university faculty, staff and administration may submit content. Currently, all messages must be submitted at least two school days in advance. For example, a message intended to be included in the Digest this Friday would have to be submitted by Wednesday at the latest.

Why, exactly? The messages themselves are never longer than a few paragraphs at most, with some running as short as merely one sentence. As it stands right now, all messages must be approved by the university before being submitted to ensure there is no profanity, explicit messages or similar controversial content. But surely the approval process could be completed within minutes for even the longest Digest submissions. Assuming this is true, allowing students or others to submit to the Digest the day before would be a welcome change for allowing the maximum amount of relevant information possible.

Still, this one inconvenience should not overshadow what the Daily Digest has brought to the University of Connecticut: a reliable once-a-day guide on how to make the best of your university experience during the four short years you attend here. All students should check it for the latest up-to-date listings, offers, promotions and advertisements about what UConn has going on today and every day.