Editorial: United States missile defense increases chances of nuclear war

Published: Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Updated: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 21:02

The U.S.S. Donald Cook arrived in its new permanent home today at NATO Naval Station Rota in southern Spain yesterday. It is a state-of-the-art Missile Destroyer and is the first of four new vessels to carry the high-tech Aegis ballistic system, which allows the ship to track and destroy intercontinental ballistic missiles. Additionally, the Pentagon announced plans last Friday to appeal Congress for a $4.5 billion cash infusion in order to build a new homeland defense radar in Alaska and to expand the current stockpile of 30 CE-I/II missile interceptors, all ostensibly with the intent of countering the nuclear programs of Iran and North Korea. The stark reality of both programs is that they are actually defensive weapons meant to counter the nuclear threat of Washington’s main geopolitical rivals. However, rather than providing protection, they drastically increase the probability of nuclear war.

Lieutenant Colonial Robert Bowman, former director of advanced space programs development for the U.S. Air Force, explained in an interview with William Engdahl that the U.S. anti-missile defense system is “the missing link to First Strike.” Nuclear-arms analyst Bruce Gagnon elaborated by pointing out that the Pentagon acknowledges its missile defense systems are woefully inadequate at preventing a first strike, but are far more successful when used to destroy retaliatory launches.

Regardless, North Korea can hardly get its missiles off the ground, let alone across the Pacific Ocean and Iran has yet to attain 20 percent enriched uranium–but China and Russia feel justifiably threatened by Washington’s anti-ballistic systems. For its part, China has the smallest declared arsenal of offensive nuclear weapons at somewhere between 20-60 missiles, a severely outdated fleet of 1960’s-era bombers, an inoperable nuclear submarine and their liquid fuel missiles are kept separate from the actual nuclear warheads–drastically increasing launch time. Chinese military strategists are also keenly aware of the danger that US nuclear missile batteries in Japan and Taiwan pose to the mainland. Washington hardly pretends to not be destroying Russia’s nuclear deterrent; faced with anti-missile systems across Europe as well as Alaska, in addition to US nuclear batteries in Turkey and Germany it is no wonder Putin wants to abandon the SALT nuclear reduction treaties.

The potential for nuclear obliteration at the hands of Washington has driven both China and Russia to call for a dramatic increase in their nuclear stockpiles over the next decade, as well as exploratory development in hypersonic missile delivery systems in what has become a resurgence of the nuclear arms races of old, all thanks to our new “defense” systems.