O say can you see? Beyonce steals the media spotlight

Staff Columnist

Published: Monday, February 4, 2013

She is the one that everyone loves or loves to hate. It is safe to say that we all heard about her lip-syncing controversy. Just two weeks ago, Beyoncé Knowles beautifully sang the national anthem at the inauguration for President Obama’s second term. As she was finishing the song, people noticed she took an earpiece out of her ear.

Not long after, the media went into frenzy. The media gives no sympathy to any celebrity for any reason and Beyoncé is no exception. Are people exposing her flaws because they’re jealous, or did they just want to tell the truth by journalistic standards of what actually happened? What was the purpose of giving this story so much attention? Did people honestly think that this “controversy” would be the start to the end of her career? If so, they are wrong. Very wrong.

Even CNN’s Anderson Cooper had something to say about it on Twitter. In Beyoncé’s defense, the silver fox said, “Who cares if @Beyonce didn’t sing live at Inauguration. She looked and sounded amazing!” And I couldn’t agree more with him.

Now for the question we are all asking ourselves: who cares?! According to the media, everyone does. However, at a stressful event like a presidential inauguration, I think it was an appropriate time for Queen Bey, as she is royally called by her fans, to lip-sync.

I am not saying that lip-syncing is appropriate for any and every occasion, but when you have millions of people all over the nation and the world watching the historical event, including huge amounts of people watching on television, lip-sync should be used to avoid something that could have potentially lead to a disaster. What if Knowles forgot the words or stumbled on them, or worse, sang to a track of a voice that is not her own?
Did people forget how cold it was on January 21? The strong winds might have been a reason why the diva used lip-sync. Imagine you’re singing and about to hit a high note. All of a sudden, a big gust of wind comes out of nowhere and goes down your windpipe. Embarrassing, right?
Just put yourself in Beyoncé’s shoes. Imagine the anticipation, the excitement and nervousness of performing in front of millions at one of the most important events in the world. While she may be used to performing, at the end of the day she is still a human being. Beyoncé even mentioned worrying about problems that could happen during “a live television show” outside on a cold day in Washington D.C.

At first, Knowles responded creatively. On her Instagram page, the diva posted a picture of her standing in a “Kanye shrug” pose and a sweatshirt that read, “Can I Live?” According to CNN, while preparing for the Super Bowl XLVII at a news conference in New Orleans on Thursday, Knowles did an a cappella rendition of the national anthem, proving that she had no problem singing live. After, she said, “Thank you. Any questions?”, laughing it off yet warning people to not question her ability to sing. Take that, haters.

Beyonce told reporters she had “decided to sing along with my prerecorded track” because she did not have time to rehearse with the U.S. Marine Corps Band and did not have a “proper sound check.”

“I did not feel comfortable taking a risk,” Knowles said, adding that it was “a very, very important, emotional show for me. I wanted to make (Obama) and the country proud. I am very proud of my performance.”

Beyoncé shouldn’t have to prove herself to anyone. We all know what she is capable of. At this point, it seems safe to assume that 2013 is Knowles’ year. With the inauguration and the Super Bowl halftime performance under her belt, she is preparing for an upcoming album, a documentary on HBO this month, an upcoming cover spread on the March edition of Vogue and a possible upcoming tour. Have I mentioned that she is on the latest GQ magazine cover? Who runs the world? Apparently Beyoncé does.