Thirty simple things to be thankful for

Commentary Editor

Published: Thursday, November 18, 2010

It's the Friday before Thanksgiving break, and you have survived. The stress often associated with this past week can make it difficult to remember to take a breather and to truly appreciate the little things in life. So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving (otherwise known as the day we celebrate the stealing of land from indigenous people after escaping religious persecution), in no particular order, I present 30 of the things that I'm most thankful for:

1. NyQuil. These past few weeks I have felt like Darth Vader when I sleep (the mouth breathing has gotten a little excessive), and NyQuil has made it possible for me to function in the morning.

2. When Starbucks breaks out the red cups. Maybe it's just me, but a pumpkin spice latte out of a holiday cup just tastes better than one in a regular cup.

3. Hopstop.com. This smart phone app saved my life this summer when I was interning in NYC and had yet to figure out the subway system. Thank you, modern technology.

4. When you're about to send an e-mail from your Gmail account and that little message pops up asking, "Did you mean to attach files?" God bless you, Google.

5. It's been a long and winding road, but the Beatles are now on iTunes.

6. Doing your laundry and finding a $5 bill in your pocket. You may not be Donald Trump, but you are $5 richer.

7. When the delivery guy from Wings Over Storrs remembers to put extra ranch with my order and not blue cheese (gross).

8. The amazing instant-gratification of almost missing the Green Line by 10 feet, and then making it just before the doors close.

9. When the coffee pot is already full when you wake up in the morning.

10. Discovering a really awesome band six months before everyone else, and then having the satisfaction of saying, "Yeah, I've heard of them."

11. Post-Halloween candy. You can eat it and not feel guilty.

12. Writing a four-page paper and then double-spacing it so it magically turns into eight pages. It feels like world domination.

13. When you're in a rush and think you're out of clean socks, but find one pair stuffed in the back of the drawer.

14. Snow days (read: Jay Hickey).

15. Getting in the car and having a full tank of gas..

16. Having a song come on the radio that you haven't heard since you were in middle school and still had bad orthodontia, and remembering every single word.

17. When that baby shower/party/meeting that you really didn't want to go to gets cancelled and you can stay in your pajamas and eat popcorn for dinner.

18. Getting the window seat on an airplane.

19. Calling a customer service representative who not only speaks English, but is extremely pleasant to talk to.

20. When you should have gotten a parking ticket, and didn't. Beating the system never felt so good!

21. Dropping your cell phone on the sidewalk, watching the battery fly out and then realizing that it still works afterwards.

22. When "Mean Girls" is on TV, and even though you've seen it 349,234 times you still drop everything you're doing and watch it (and then spend the next 24 hours quoting it).

23. The McDonald's Dollar Menu. Eating a burger for $1 is questionable, but so worth it.

24. Looking at the clock and realizing that it's 11:11, and then announcing the news to whoever is in the room.

25. Being in college and still sitting at the kids' table at Thanksgiving dinners. Someone has to teach them to put salt in everyone's water glasses (you'll be the coolest cousin ever).

26. When you are at the checkout line at Big Y and remembered to bring those silver coins with you.

27. Daylight Saving Time – because who doesn't appreciate an extra hour of sleep?

28. Getting a text message from a new friend.

29. When a stranger holds the door for you, even if it means they're awkwardly standing there for a solid five seconds.

30. The awesome feeling of sleeping in the day after Thanksgiving, when everyone else is waiting in line at Target at 5 a.m. Win.