Conn. Trolley Museum invites families to explore Winterfest

Published: Thursday, December 5, 2013

Updated: Thursday, December 5, 2013 23:12

Winterfest is being held in the Connecticut Trolley Museum from December 6-8, December 13-15 and December 20-22 from 5 p.m. until 9 p.m. The event will also be going after Christmas from December 26-30 from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m.

“The Connecticut Trolley Museum presents Winterfest 2013 and The Tunnel of Lights (which began) Friday, November 29,” stated the Winterfest Press Release.

Winterfest is the Connecticut Trolley Museum annual fundraiser for their museum, and is a way for the museum to raise money as well as invite families to explore the museum.

“It’s our biggest fundraiser of the year and the museum is run completely by volunteers,” said museum volunteer, Chris Shaw. “It is a good family activity. The money is going to a good cause.”

Winterfest is not very expensive. Tickets cost $10 for adults, $8 for seniors, $6 for children between 2 and 12 years of age and under 2 is just $3. Members of the Connecticut Trolley Museum get half off the ticket prices for Winterfest as well.

The event also offers many activities for everyone to enjoy and relax to.

“You can ride (in) a heated enclosed trolley or bring a blanket, be brave and enjoy the crisp winter air in the open “electric sleigh.” Then race back into the Visitors Center which has been transformed into a Winter Wonderland complete with model trains, decorations galore and you can even buy a delicious cup of hot cocoa to sip as you enjoy the entertainment,” stated the Winterfest Press Release.

In the 40 years of its existence, Winterfest has changed significantly.

“It has grown up since then. We have started the lights sculptures. It changes every year. The event is quite a bit larger than it was when we started,” said Shaw.

Winterfest recently began serenading trolley-riders with carols to make the event even more enjoyable and engaging. The museum encourages riders to sing along.