Dressing like a dime in the cold

Published: Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Updated: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 22:02

Upgrade yourself! Giving a frigid passerby enough of a reason to look up from the sidewalk is a little more difficult nowadays. If you can be stylish during the moments your shoes are slushy, your hair is wind-blown and your face is numb, every other show stopping #OOFTD (outfit of the day) will come easier.

Ponchos make rolling out of bed even more effortless as you are wrapped in a blanket all day. These days you can find ponchos with feathers, fringe and fur to add different textures and layers to your look. It’s fine to drape a poncho or cape over another sweater or longer dress. During class, you can throw it over your legs or keep it on your shoulders and they are not as bulky to keep in your seat as a jacket.

The warmth of tights, even in the windiest wind is extremely surprising. Knee high or thigh high socks can add color, flavor and insulation when worn on top. Margaux Léa Ancel, a sophomore studying photojournalism, usually wears her two-tone black tights with fierce leather shorts and a statement necklace. The words “oversized sweaters,” or “fitted cardigan” over a “swingy dress” may also direct your attention to certain items in your closet. Substituting tights for jeans is a win-win; you have to wash them less, black is simpler to match and not wearing pants is underrated.

Dark lips contrast our lightening skin. Luscious plum lips are an instant attraction, especially if you are smiling. From her song, “How to Be a Heartbreaker,” UK Pop singer Marina and the Diamonds would agree: “Boys they like the look of danger/We’ll get him falling for a stranger, a player.” We do not have to go as dark as Lorde so that we look witch-y but a little change up goes a long way.

Let us not forget the artless benefit to wearing leggings under other pants. We remember this option when sledding, but it makes a 20-minute walk more bearable. Plus, you are wearing two pairs of pants so if ever during the day you get bored… shed!
You do not have to ignore the rest of your closet during the winter; most items can be winterized and layered.