Emotional intelligence expert to speak Wednesday

Published: Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 22:01

The School of Business Career Center will present speaker Jen Shirkani and her lecture on “Emotional Intelligence: Skills for Success.”

The event, sponsored by Target, will take place tonight from 6 p.m. to 7p.m. in room C80 of the Information Technologies Engineering Building and is free to all. Those interested should R.S.V.P. and register to attend on their Husky Career Link in “Workshops” under the Event tab.

Author of the book “Ego vs. EQ: How Top Leaders Beat 8 Ego Traps Using Emotional Intelligence”, Shirkani is an expert on talent management and has been training people to become better employees and leaders for over 20 years. She has spoken at multiple conferences and has been a learning and development specialist and executive coach for major successful companies such as Nordstrom, Select Comfort (the Sleep Number Bed) and Bergen Brunswig.

Emotional intelligence, or the ability to express, understand and control the emotions of oneself or of a group, is useful in both personal and professional lives. Those with high EQs often excel at problem solving, have stronger relationships, remain more optimistic and are better at adjusting to change. In the business world, it has been proven that people with high EQs have higher earnings. Shirkani aims to educate the audience on human dynamics and provide practical, relevant and immediately useful strategies.