Fantasy Football advice for Week 14

Fantasy Football Columnist

Published: Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 23:12

Player to Start: Ben Tate (Running Back, Houston Texans)
Coming off his best game of the season, a 28-point performance at home against the Patriots, Tate looks to continue his production on the road at Jacksonville. Though this was only his second double-digit performance all season, as he averages 7.2 points per game, Tate is going to get the bulk of the carries in Week 14. After being benched in Week 12 at home against Jacksonville, this is a revenge game for Tate, as he will certainly do better than two points. The Jaguars are ranked 29th in the league against the run, as they allow 130.4 yards per game and give up an average 18.1 fantasy points to opposing backs, ranking 24th in the league. In the last four weeks, Jacksonville has won three of their last four by improving their play, but in a divisional game, look for the Texans to establish the run early. In order to stop their abysmal 10-game losing streak, Houston needs to run the ball early and often to help out their young quarterback. Tate is projected to have 90 yards on the ground and a touchdown, which is 15 points, but look for him to crack the century mark and score 18.

Player to Bench: Charles Clay (Tight End, Miami Dolphins)
After lighting up the Jets for seven catches and 80 yards in the first half, Clay was on the verge of having a monstrous afternoon, but he went scoreless in the next two quarters. Clay has been up and down lately, having three outings under 40 yards, then a 90-yard, one touchdown performance followed by 27-yard game before his 80-yard game. He is the 7th ranked tight end in fantasy football, averaging 7.1 fantasy points a game. This week he is projected to average four points, 47 yards, on the road against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers are ranked 11th against the overall pass, only allowing 225.4 yards per game, and are ranked 5th against tight ends, only giving up 5.7 fantasy points per game to opposing tight ends. Pittsburgh has only allowed double-digit scoring to tight ends three times and has only given up three touchdowns to opposing tight ends. Clay has only caught four touchdowns all season, and against a physical opponent, he will be in only to block and pass protect, which will take away from his own statistics. Week 14 will be a sub-five-point performance for Clay and his projection of four points might even be generous.

Player to Add: Doug Baldwin (Wide Receiver, Seattle Seahawks)
The Seahawks led by sophomore sensation Russell Wilson are electric and firing on all cylinders at this point in the season. Wilson has thrown at least two touchdowns in six straight weeks as the wide receivers are being targeted more and are having an increase in production. One receiver who struggled early in the season but has come on huge lately is Doug Baldwin, who is only owned in 13.4 percent of ESPN fantasy football leagues. In three of the last four weeks, he caught a touchdown and has double-digit performances, most recently in Week 13 where he had 77 yards and a receiving touchdown. With Percy Harvin still getting in the lineup, Baldwin is the first or secondary option for Russell, which will translate into more targets, more yards and more points. This week will be a bell weather for Baldwin and the Seahawks on the road at rival San Francisco, who only gives up 16.2 points to opposing wide receivers, which is good for 6th in the league. Baldwin is projected to have nine points this week, 39 yards and a touchdown. However, look for him to have about a 70-yard performance in a game the Seahawks need to win in order to clinch the No. 1 seed and home field advantage.