A Campus In Style: Fashion week returns with fall collections

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week is back for another season. The bi-annual event which showcases both spring/summer and fall/winter collections attracts the fashion-conscious from all over the world to one of the global hubs for style, Lincoln Center in New York City. From February 7th to February 14th, New York’s Fashion Week will show off the best designers from all around the world with upcoming Fall 2013 collections.

Fashion Week, which first started in New York City in 1943, was first called “Press Week.” Initially, this week in New York City was designed to steal attention away from Paris, France and the European fashion scene. This idea of creating an American image of fashion was kick-started by publicist Eleanor Lambert. This original tension in the fashion high-class between France and the United States grew significantly. Major magazines, journalists and publicists became more and more intrigued with the idea of American fashion.

In 2008, New York’s Fashion Week found it’s new home of Lincoln Center, backed by a major sponsor in Mercedes-Benz. Fashion Week is New York City’s biggest media event, which is always a surprise considering the magnitude of the city’s global importance. An event that normally attracts celebrities of all kinds, this year’s event began in a unique way. The Heart Truth returned to Fashion Week to inspire women to protect their heart health. Many celebrities donned red dresses and walked down the runway in support of the 2013 Red Dress Collection. Participants this year included Olympian Gabby Douglas, Kelly Osbourne, Kris, Kendall and Kylie Jenner, Soledad O’Brien, Toni Braxton and many more.

In the New Year, Mercedes-Benz and Fashion Week affiliates are looking for the 2013 Fall/Winter collections to signify fresh beginnings and limitless possibilities.

“Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week is truly the world’s stage for international designers to introduce their collections to the American market,” said Jarrad Clark, Global Direction of Production of IMG Fashion Events and Properties.

Fall 2013 collections on display this week will include Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Maison Martin Margiela, Y-3, Vera Wang and a large list of others. Among some of the trends expected in this installment of Fashion Week include the return of wearable grunge and punk styles, “thrift shop” looks, heavy doses of black and grey, earth tones such as brown, orange and plum, with red being this season’s “pop” color.