A taste of ‘Jerry Springer’

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Sunday, February 17, 2013

After an epic fail in their Halloween episode “Pretty Little Liars” needed to come back strong in order to bounce back for the second half the third season. Despite the unsuccessful Halloween special, the show has managed to live up to its original potential of being dramatic.

ABC Family doesn’t typically have a good track record airing shows that actually have substance although “Pretty Little Liars” has already been renewed the show for a forth season. Originally following the series of books by Sara Shepard, the TV show has taken a turn far from the books making ABC Family’s “PLL” its own thing that still has a good storyline without relying on the books. At this point the TV show is a standalone only using the books basically for a background story rather than using direct plots from the book. Every week the show reveals a new twist to the complicated murder of a childhood friend of the main characters, Spencer, Aria, Emily and Hanna. When it seems like they are one step closer the mysterious ‘A’ just sends them 10 steps back with another revelation. 

At this point in the third season Mona is back and obviously hasn’t changed her ways ,although she has managed to fool the rest of the school that she is a good person. While she is in the midst of fooling classmates, she also manages to push Spencer to her breaking point where she completely loses it and attacks Mona like something you see on “The Jerry Spring Show.” She literally springs at Mona across a table while wrapping her hands around her throat, leaving me wondering if she would have actually killed her if others around her didn’t stop her. The once conservative and well put together Spencer is now a hot mess with a cloud of despair shadowing her reasonable thinking, even pushing away the help of her close friends.  

Aria is in a rough spot now that Ezra has taken off to meet his kid and is stuck with his good looking younger brother. Of course there is some spark between them since Aria is always the one with some type of relationship issue or conflict that gets in the way of the unusual age difference between her and Ezra. Who knew it would be his younger brother getting in the way? Oh wait I did see that coming. 

Hanna’s sassy attitude continues as she tries to fix Caleb’s relationship with his father, but of course that backfired on her since he’s a thief and seems he will always be a thief. Emily again seems to be the only one who actually cares about solving the murder of their friend Alison. She runs off with Jason to investigate more clues but shortly he is injured then disappears from the hospital bed. It’s pure madness in the world of “PLL” because Spencer still hasn’t told the gang that she knows that Toby is in the A-team. I’m not quite sure what she is waiting for despite a threat from ‘A’ but since when has any of them actually listened to instructions by ‘A?’ 

The episode was slow, but I suppose there is bound to be one episode in the season that might be a bit slow. 

B-