Allowing homosexuals to tell their own story

Published: Sunday, February 23, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 23, 2014 21:02

This Saturday, Rainbow Cinema at UConn presented “Brokeback Mountain,” the story of two men falling in love with one another while sheep herding in the mountains of Wyoming. Taking place at the Rainbow Center at the Student Union, Rainbow Cinema has a weekly movie showing that includes important themes about sexuality and a post-movie discussion. Although attendance on this particular weekend was sparse, it should not take away from the significance of “Brokeback Mountain.”

“Brokeback Mountain” describes the forbidden love affair of two men living and working in the western part of the United States during the 1960s. Starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, the pair struggle to find a place for their passion in a world where their feelings are considered taboo. When it was first released, many movie reviewers — such as Peter Travers from Rolling Stone Magazine — considered this movie “a landmark film” because of its controversial content. Although this film is often labeled as “the gay cowboy movie,” the moving performances of both starring actors creates such an atmosphere of empathy, allowing the audience to feel connected to Ennis and Jack.

After the movie was finished, and the audience dried all of its tears, a discussion commenced over the significance of the characters, plot points and imagery of the film. One member of the group brought up the importance of queer people being allowed to tell their own story. Although “Brokeback Mountain” was considered groundbreaking when it was released, the actors and producers of the film were straight. Therefore, this story about homosexuals is expressed by heterosexual people — possibly causing the storyline to be shaped to how the filmmakers expect homosexuals to act. Other members of the audience brought up similar concerns about the realism of the film.

Ultimately, “Brokeback Mountain” was an excellent film and a wonderful choice for Rainbow Cinema. Anyone who would like to attend a movie at the Rainbow Center should visit at 2 p.m. any Saturday of the month. Each week’s film choice can be found under the “events” tab on The Rainbow Center’s website.