Boston Babydolls burlesque comes to UConn

Published: Monday, December 2, 2013

Updated: Monday, December 2, 2013 23:12

This past Monday, Dec. 2, SUBOG brought us the funny and sexy Boston Babydolls burlesque group. The dancers and the presenter gave the public an electrifying and eclectic performance, which made the public not only whistle, but laugh during the show.

The performance consisted of Scratch, the Babydoll dancers and a special appearance of Corinne Southern, a burlesque dancer from Rhode Island. The Babydoll performers were Babydoll dancers, Brigatte Besoux, Devora darling and Miss Mina.

The show was Holiday themed, and the dancers were dressed and performed to different Christmas songs.

One of the best performances of the show was Miss Mina’s fan dance. Mina is considered to be a renowned fan dancer. A fan dance is part of the classic burlesque style. This dance consists of a dancer, covering herself with two big feather fans, moving the fans to cover and uncover different parts of her body in a sensual way.

Devora Darling’s interpretation of the first day of snow of the season was also astounding. Devora Darling danced in a ballet-like style, while throwing white confetti around. Darling’s dance, was sensual and classy, never vulgar.

Scratch, the host of the show, did little gigs with the dancers between performances and joked around with the audience. Scratch’s cheeky, inappropriate sense of humor made the crowd laugh between each dance, making the show flow well with no complete stops.

On one of Scratch’s gigs, he brought a member of the audience and showed her a magic trick. While instructing the audience volunteer, Scratch made sexually toned comments. “Maybe you should use both hands,” Scratch said, while telling the volunteer to rub a phallus shaped object.

Gerson Mendoza, a fifth-semester economics and Spanish major, was pleased with the event. “It’s a really different show, not the typical UConn event,” Mendoza said, acknowledging the unique spectacle of the Babydolls’ show.

During the show, Scratch kept made comments regarding how usually the dancers are nude in the show. After the show, Scratch said why the dancers stayed in the lingerie during the spectacle in UConn. “The university didn’t permit it,” Scratch said. “Other universities we’ve been at had never imposed the dancers to stay clothed.”