'Breaking Dawn 2' pulls heartstrings

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Monday, November 26, 2012

Violence and intense nail biting fight scenes were the focus of the latest and last installment of ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2.’
After years of awkward adolescence, Bella Cullen, nee Swan (Kristen Stewart), finally completes her transition into a full vampire, and I’ll admit she is a bit of a badass now. The combination of motherhood and mythical creature status has inspired a personality change of sorts in the franchise’s protagonist. Bella is now a protective mother that you don’t want to cross and she made that clear to Jacob (Taylor Lautner) by tossing him as though he were a beach ball. Bella even undergoes a physical transformation from frumpy punkish teen to sophisticated married woman.

Despite her look, strength and her cool new abilities she still has an awkward sense about her that I suspect will never go away. However, there are a few cool scenes showing off Bella’s ability to pounce through the forest and jump off waterfalls.

For the last movie in the franchise the creators of the saga decided to go all out with a spectacular finish. Fans of Stephanie Meyer’s book series will be surprised by an intense fight scene at the end of the film that keeps viewers on the edge of their seats. Heads were rolling as the clans banded together in order to battle the devious Volturi, and to my surprise, main characters were eliminated left and right. There were a few moments within the major battle that managed to pull a few heart strings but Twilight fans can rest assured that this movie does end happily ever after.

These corny moments are the ones that really throw off all the movies off, especially with all the unnecessary mushy scenes between Bella and Edward. We get that they are in love with each other and plan to be together ‘forever’ (the movie’s catch slogan). Even during one of the most emotional scenes between Edward and Bella, the background music did not fit the mood, which made the scene awkward. In an even stranger turn of events, for the first part of the movie their daughter, Renesmee, is digital. Her character is supposed to age rapidly, and they bring in an actual human (Mackenzie Foy) later to play her as the older version, but for the first part it looks like as if they took the digital Renesmee out of the “The Polar Express” or “Beowulf.”
The acting was an improvement compared to the previous movies and there were a lot of new characters that surprisingly did not have any lines. The clans from around the world that congregated with the Cullens did not speak a word but rather stared intensely into the camera showing off their red eyes. The spotlight only shone on one clan, and the fact that others had no lines detracted from the film, as it would have been interesting to learn more about the other clans from abroad.

Some moments elicited laughter from me, including Jacob stripping for Bella’s dad in order to prove a point.

The tension built up throughout the entire movie is what kept me glued but the melodramatic moments and the perfect happily ever after is where the film suffered. But how else was Ms. Meyer suppose to please the fans?
 6.5/10