Chick flicks for guys

Published: Monday, February 10, 2014

Updated: Monday, February 10, 2014 21:02

Valentine’s Day is this Friday. That being said, a lot of guys may be stuck watching romantic movies they have no interest in. We’ve all seen “The Notebook.” Yes, it is touching and sad, but nobody needs to re-watch it 47 times. Here are some suggestions on date movies you can watch this Valentine’s Day that you guys won’t be miserable viewing.

“The 40-Year Old Virgin”: The comical story of a middle aged man on a quest to lose his virginity is more of a date movie than you might think. The story of a lonely middle aged man (Steve Carrell) in search of sex, but really the right girl, is sure to entertain both men and women with its crude and raunchy humor. The love story aspect should be enough to have it considered for date night.

“Forgetting Sarah Marshall”: Jason Segel stars in what is essentially the funniest “chick flick” ever made. After his celebrity girlfriend (Kristen Bell) dumps him, Peter (Jason Segel) tries to take a Hawaiian vacation to escape his depression. Unfortunately for Peter, his ex is staying at the same resort with her new rock-star boyfriend (Russel Brand). Luckily Mila Kunis is around. The story is basically a love triangle, but the movie is one of the funniest, dirtiest and crudest R-rated comedies ever made. I don’t understand why anybody would rather watch “The Notebook.”

“Basic Instinct”: I suppose this one is cheating since it’s more of an erotic mystery thriller than a love story, but it can make for an interesting date. A detective (Michael Douglas) investigates the brutal murder of a rock star, but finds himself falling for the key suspect (Sharon Stone) in one of the sleaziest and most controversial movies of the ‘90s. Fun fact: The scene where Sharon Stone crosses and uncrosses her legs exposing herself has been said to be the most paused moment in any movie ever.

“Bridesmaids”: This movie was hyped up to be the male answer to chick flicks, but don’t let the advertising fool you. “Bridesmaids” is 100 percent chick flick. That being said, a hysterical cast and a lot of funny moments make it entertaining enough to fit a guys’ night in, let alone a date night. Kirsten Wigg leads an all-star cast in the story of two bridesmaids competing to be the maid of honor. If only all chick flicks could be this vulgar, funny and entertaining.

“Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”: This is the only straight up romantic movie making this list. I’d like to think of this as the “Inception” of chick flicks. Jim Carrey plays Joel, a man devastated by his breakup. When he learns that his ex underwent a procedure to have their relationship erased from his memory, he decides to do the same out of spite. Both Joel and his ex begin to realize that maybe this is not what they wanted. Both moving and intellectually stimulating, this unconventional and original love story is sure to please both genders.

“The Ugly Truth”: You’re probably seeing a pattern by now. The best chick flicks for men to enjoy are usually the ones told from a male point of view with real male characters rather than the prince charming types we so often see in “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” - like movies. A morning show producer (Katherine Heigl) finds her false ideas about men and relationships are tested when a vulgar man (Gerard Butler) is assigned to her show to give relationship advice by explaining how men and women really are begins to test his theories in her personal life.

“The Twilight Saga”: This is a joke. Avoid at all costs. Don’t even think about it. Dump your significant other if they recommend it.