Confessions of a Songbird

Former UConn student Kristin Errett has been called the next Sara Bareilles.

Focus Editor

Published: Thursday, April 12, 2012

Kristin

PHOTO COURTESY OF KRISTIN ERRETT

When Kristin Errett came to UConn she had no idea that she would be leaving soon, with a ticket to Los Angeles in hand and a record deal in the works.

Errett, a Connecticut native, is a thriving vocalist and pianist. Her work has drawn comparisons to the popular Sara Bareilles and über-hip Norah Jones. More importantly, the 21-year-old musician recently released her first album, and will soon be embarking on a summer tour through New England.

Errett enrolled at UConn in the fall of 2008. She adopted a major in liberal arts, and planned to graduate just like every other student in her class. But after joining Husky Records and performing at a number of its events, Errett was hooked up with a producer from the Killingsworth Recording Company in Hollywood.

Two years after starting college, Errett was already crafting her musical career. She split her time between California and New York to pen some songs and collaborate with three other writers. Eventually, she moved out to L.A. to record her debut album, “Confessions of a Songbird.” Errett spent a total of three months in the studio. After much fine-tuning, “Songbird” was put out in stores in April 2011.

Errett did not abandon her education when she left Storrs. She takes classes while sustaining her career, which she said is difficult but manageable. The singer does miss UConn, especially when she catches up with old friends and has cravings for DP Dough, she said. “I would love to do a show on campus,” Errett said. The only problem is she’s not in touch with the new officers of Husky Records.

Errett’s songbird tendencies were revealed at a young age. She began playing piano when she was 10, and was interested in musical theater while growing up.

“I’m pretty much inspired by everything,” Errett said, “especially country music.” When she writes lyrics she doesn’t just draw from personal experiences. “If I hear a good story I think, ‘I need to make a song out of this,” she said.

Despite the success of her freshman record, Errett isn’t sitting around idly. “Right now I’m trying to play as much as I can,” the artist said. Her venues of choice have ranged from local, such as Pub-32 in Storrs, to notorious, like The Bitter End in NYC. And although she is unsigned for the time being, she continues to write, build up her fan base and promote her CD. Additionally, she is putting together an acoustic version of ‘Songbird,’ and is drawing up plans to form a band in the fall.

As a message to all aspiring musicians, Errett said that organization and social networking are the keys to advancing in the industry. “Follow what’s big,” she said. Having a website, Twitter, Facebook, MySpace and YouTube is essential for stardom. Errett can be found on all these platforms. Her website kristinerrett.com provides visitors with the chance to listen to all ten tracks from “Songbird” for free. This includes Errett’s personal favorite, “Sparks.” On top of that, those who sign up for her mailing list are rewarded with a free download.