Dancing to the music in their heads

Published: Sunday, February 5, 2012

headphone

RACHEL WEISS/The Daily Campus

Students dance at Friday night’s SUBOG-sponsored Headphone Disco. The event was DJed by Bryan Roseman and Vito Corleone. Their company, Headphone Disco, has been touring U.S. campuses for the past two months, bringing the new party scene to college students.

The Student Union Ball room looked like a club on Friday night as the Student Union Board of Governors sponsored the Headphone Disco. The event starred Bryan Roseman of Scotland and his company Headphone Disco along with his partner Vito Corleone of Rhode Island. Roseman and Corleone, who have been DJing for years, are touring the nation trying to spread the popular party scene through many of the colleges throughout the United States. They are in the process of completing an almost two-month-long tour with recent stops in New Jersey and Portland, Maine.

Headphone Disco is a party scene new to the U.S. which uses only wireless headphones for party-goers to listen to music and dance. There are two different stations playing a variety of music such as standard radio music, house mixes, top 40 lists, party tunes and sing-along and dance along tracks. Some of the songs that were played were Rebecca Black's "Friday," Run DMC's "Its Tricky," Rednex "Cotton Eye Joe," and even a UConn version of LMFAO's "Shots."

The songs that were played covered everyone's interests. Tray Diaz, a 2nd-semester student, said both channels of music were "poppin'" with a wonderful music selection. Dancing throughout the club Mattias Mirabile, a 6th-semester physics major that is new to the Storrs campus said that this is a nice way to meet new people. Since it is a unique way of partying, Headphone Disco allows you to really enjoy the atmosphere while listening to the music and dancing with your friends in ways your can't at a regular club scene. Emily Gay, an 8th-semester communications and human development and family studies double major, said the Headphone Disco party was "awkward but funny" because of the different songs that were playing at the same time. If you were to take off the headphones you would hear people singing or just silence and if you don't like the song just switch the channel.

SUBOG's president Mike Carson, an 8th-semester actuarial science major, said the Headphone Disco party is a part of UConn's winter weekend with a theme of "Everyday I'm Shoveling." Carson said the idea to bring the Headphone Disco Party to UConn came from when members of the SUBOG team went to a National Association for Campus Activities (NACA) conference and witnessed it there. Carson, along with other members of the SUBOG team advertised this event with flyers around the Student Union and at other events such as the One-ton Sundae along with posting it on their Facebook and Twitter pages. Liz Carroll who is an 8th-semester secondary education math major and the special events chairperson for SUBOG said that the Headphone Disco started in Europe where it is a big hit and she felt obligated to bring it to UConn.

With different songs like Trey Songz featuring Fabolous's "Say Ahh," Afro Man's "Colt 45," Cali Swag Districts "Teach Me How To Dougie," Notorious B.I.G.'s "Big Poppa," V.I.C.'s "Wobble Baby" and more, Kathleen Kennedy, a 4th-semester pre-pharmacy major said this party sets the bar high for SUBOG. Harry Abrahams, a 4th-semester double major in physiology and neurobiology along with philosophy, said he loved it because it felt like being isolated with a feeling of togetherness. Tayo Edwards a 2nd-semester nursing major, said she liked the Headphone Disco because everyone was in their own zone. This new concept along with the music that was played made for a monumental Friday night at UConn's late night program.