Disney releases shorts between seasons

Published: Sunday, February 9, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 9, 2014 21:02

This week marked the release of “Mabel’s Guide to Life,” the second series of shorts to appear between the first and second season of “Gravity Falls.”

Disney Channel released this cartoon involving a pair of twins spending their summer in the supernatural stuffed town of Gravity Falls, Oregon in the summer of 2012. “Gravity Falls” sporadically premiered the 20-episode season over an entire year. Even with the stretched out scheduling it gained enough popularity to garner several Annie Award nominations, the ‘Best Voice Acting’ Annie Award for Kristen Schaal, who plays main character Mabel Pines, and a second season. Unfortunately the second season will not be premiering until what will most likely be the summer of 2014; in the mean time, Disney has been releasing these series of shorts to tide fans over.

If you were a fan of “Gravity Falls” during the air of the first season then you will love both series of shorts as they excellently capture the many different aspects of the show itself. If you have never watched it before then these shorts are a perfect option for deciding whether to give it a try. “Gravity Falls” has bizarre humor that usually involves crazy monsters, mysteries and a multitude of supernatural plotlines. Sometimes, Mabel will just do something completely spastic and equally hilarious. In fact, the two series of shorts encapsulate those different styles separately.

“Dipper’s Guide to the Unexplained” stars the other main character, Dipper Pines, as he films himself trying to solve the supernatural wonders that reside in Gravity Falls. It is the essence of the weird and surreal world that is deeply a part of the series. Monsters and secrets are the focus for these five shorts that are just as off-putting as they are fun.

It should also be noted “Gravity Falls” has a particular interest in leaving codes and secret messages in almost every episode and “Dipper’s Guide to the Unexplained” is no different. In fact, these shorts were revealed to hint at a plot for the second season.

“Mabel’s Guide to Life” stars Mabel Pines as she films herself giving random, nonsensical advice about various topics. These five shorts are less concerned with the mysteries of Gravity Falls or hidden riddles needing to be decoded as they are with Mabel’s cooky, spastic personality. Many of the greatest jokes from “Gravity Falls” come from Mabel alone and “Mabel’s Guide to Life” simply doubles the amount of hysterical Mabel moments.

“Dipper’s Guide to the Unexplained” was released in October, two months after the first season ended, while “Mabel’s Guide to Life” was released this week. The Disney Channel has been spacing out these shorts all year to keep fans from forgetting that “Gravity Falls” will be returning sometime this summer. Though the time between seasons has been frustrating, at least these shorts are worth the wait.