Dr. John and the Blind Boys come to Jorgensen

Gospel Hall of Famers and Grammy winners

Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012

Saturday night will bring a unique rock event to the Jorgensen’s stage, as Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee Dr. John will team up with the Blind Boys, a five-time Grammy-winning gospel group in the Gospel Music Hall of Fame, for a night of jazz, blues and gospel.

Dr. John has been a guitarist since the 1960s, when he played guitar as a session musician for The Rolling Stones and Van Morrison, among others, according to a Jorgensen press release. In his solo career, filled with a southern-fried Louisiana sound, Dr. John won five Grammys, including one for 1973’s “In The Right Place,” which featured his biggest hit, “Right Place Wrong Time,” which reached No. 9 on the Billboard Chart in June of that year.

After Hurricane Katrina ravaged much of New Orleans in 2005, he raised funds for his home city. His 2008 album, “City That Care Forgot,” won that year’s Grammy for Best Contemporary Blues Album. The Los Angeles Times called his latest release, “Locked Down,” “something magical, the embodiment of everything he’s done but pushed in a clear new direction.”
The Blind Boys of Alabama have been invited to the White House by three different presidents, according to the press release, the latest being President Obama in 2010. They’ve been around since 1939, and have performed for millions over their 70-year career.

The performance at Jorgensen begins at 8 p.m., with doors opening an hour before the show. Tickets for students are $20, while regular tickets range from $39 to $59. The show is held cabaret-style, with food available for purchase.