Faison gets the bills paid

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Friday, May 3, 2013

Whether it is comedy, adventure or even action, Donald Faison, one of the stars on “Scrubs” and TV Land’s “The Exes” is willing to take on any genre as long as it gets the bills paid.

Faison said in a phone interview held Monday that the main thing that gravitates him toward roles he has played is to make sure that the bill are paid, calling it the honest truth.

“I’m happy to do both movies and TV,” said Faison. “I like going to the studio every day and acting. It’s nice to have a constant routine that pays the bills.”

Faison said that Hollywood is an industry of “no’s” and there have been plenty of times where he has been unemployed. Sometimes he has to audition against his friends for various parts. No matter his financial situation, though, he finds himself attracted to roles that he is comfortable with. Working with great material, writers and directors has led to a lot of his success.

“I love playing Turk on ‘Scrubs’ and a lot of who he is is basically me,” he said. “I feel very comfortable in the role. I met Zack Braff that way and I also enjoyed being a part of ‘Remember the Titans.’ But right now I’m loving ‘The Exes.’”

Faison explained “The Exes” is the first time he is able to play a ladies’ man. Typically many of his roles consisted of playing the funny guy or the oddball. He also talked about the format of “The Exes”; there are major differences in playing in front of a live audience versus single camera shows as found on “Scrubs.” A live studio audience reminds people when to laugh and helps the audience pay more attention and feel the rhythm of the show. Faison said that when he was younger, laugh tracks helped him focus on movies or shows because jokes would otherwise fly over his head.

“Single camera doesn’t remind you when to laugh so that kind of show is usually more visual,” said Faison. “They will show you the joke and there’s more sound effects.”

Using different sound effects to get his point across about the differences in multi vs. single camera shows, Faison emphasized that everything has to be more visual on multi-camera. A single camera show is usually very fast paced in order to grab a viewer’s attention. Most single camera shows will have this type of style and Faison recommended paying close attention next time when viewing one.

On the set of “Scrubs’ Faison is convinced that he and Braff created the trend of a “bromance” before it became popular. Faison claims that many other TV shows where men had close friendships with other men were unaware of their bromance or were too scared to admit it. However, one thing he really enjoyed about “Scrubs” was the fact that cast members really encouraged each other to try new things.

“A lot of the sense of humor is myself,” said Faison. “Our sense of humor was so much alike and because of that we weren’t afraid to tell our own jokes. I got to use my own voice on how I would tell a joke. Bill Lawrence and Zack would encourage me to do that. We encourage each other to be ourselves because we thought we were so funny off camera.”

Faison recently finished his latest movie “Kick-Ass 2” where he stars alongside Chloe Grace Moretz and Jim Carrey playing Dr. Gravity, due to come out this August. He described his experience on the set as exciting as a lot of the filming took place in London, allowing him to explore the city. Working with Jim Carrey was “dope” according to Faison. Dr. Gravity is not a doctor but fights bad guys while wearing a funny costume; Faison wouldn’t go into further depth about the movie.

Currently, he is hosting TBS’s “Who Gets The Last Laugh?” where celebrities prank everyday people. Faison warned people to be wary next time they are pulled over because it could be them. He also offered advice for aspiring actors that included making sure that it something that you really want to do. It doesn’t happen for everyone and you need to be creative; anything is possible. You can fly, he joked, before explaining that you need to keep trying.

“If you continue forward and put 100 percent into it doesn’t mean it’s going to work out,” said Faison. “Giving it a try is the adventure. Don’t let anybody stop you and that’s life in general.”