Fashion week continues

Designers impress in Milan

Published: Sunday, February 23, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 23, 2014 21:02

Several major design houses presented this past weekend in Milan, providing a packed roster of shows for both fashion writers and consumers. Though the Milan shows are far from over, those designers that have presented have already offered an incredible array of gorgeous fall looks.

Blumarine opened with a striking group of formal outfits in luxe black silk with gold detailing. The accented silks remained, but quickly moved through teals with green and orange and into whites with red and turquoise. Luxe fur coats and dresses and leather pantsuits in black and jewel tones dominated the second part of the collection. Tulle, beading and metallic gold in all the right places added stunning drama to the last third of the collection.

Pucci’s collection began with a redux on the classic “Pucci print” in white, black and electric orange with beaded detail. The collection quickly moved into dramatic furs with sleek lines, followed by busy Aztec-inspired prints on both low-cut dresses and winter coats. However, it was the dramatic maxi dresses, with unique lines and cutouts on the top half, that stole the show. Also notable at Pucci were the stunning knee-high boots paired with many outfits, as well as the beauty look: hair was wavy and natural, and several models had an intriguing flush of gold at the center of their foreheads.

Etro managed the remarkable feat of bringing the terms “sumptuous” and “neutrals” into the same concept, heavily featuring olives, greys, and tans in low-key, visually pleasing patterns. The line also created several looks that folded multiple patterns on luxe fabrics over one another while staying mindful of the golden rule of layering patterns — keeping everything within the same color scheme — which provided a striking take on a layered fall outfit. Metallic gold accents added drama to muted burgundy, faded yellow, black and dusty blue.

Versace played with its traditional aesthetic of sleek, bumped hair paired with short dresses, adding uneven hemlines, furs and buttoned accents for a new visual appeal. The line also featured several bold jackets and skirts as well as bold metallic accents, though knee-high boots with laser-cut patterns were a definite miss.

Cavalli made a dramatic impact early on with furs over dresses and suits in patterns of black, grey and white. This theme continued throughout the show with the later addition of fringe and pops of royal blue and red. The middle of the collection emphasized reds and oranges on black silk for an almost flame-like effect, especially given the movement of the maxi dresses. Finally, Cavalli introduced some “Gatsby”-esque flapper dresses in black and white, still paired with furs at the neck.

Bottega Veneta emphasized metallics that popped against black backgrounds and dresses with alternatively sensuous swirls in black, orchid, and neutral tones and sharp geometric patterns in neons, black, and fall tones. Jil Sander, meanwhile, offered its classically minimalist aesthetic in a variety of pastel-colored winter coats, dresses, pants and sweaters.