Fitzgerald inspired film screenings

Published: Thursday, March 7, 2013

“Midnight In Paris” and “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” will be screened in the Student Union Theatre as part of UConn Reads’ “Fitzgerald On Film” series. “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” will play this Sunday, March 10, at 2 p.m. while “Midnight In Paris” will run at the same time two Sunday’s from now on March 24. Admission to both showings will be free of charge.

F. Scott Fitzgerald, the author of this year’s UConn Reads selection, “The Great Gatsby”, wrote a short story called “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” in 1922, which was turned into a movie directed by David Fincher in the 2008.

The film version received 13 Oscar nominations, including a Best Picture nomination, a Best Director nomination for Fincher, and a Best Actor nod for Brad Pitt’s performance as Benjamin Button. The film documents the life of Benjamin Button, a man who is born elderly in the 1920’s and ages backwards throughout the 20-century.

Woody Allen’s 2011 film “Midnight In Paris,” like “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”, was nominated for both Best Picture and Best Director at the Academy Awards. The film won the Oscar for the Best Original Screenplay.

Owen Wilson stars as Gil Pender, a Hollywood screenwriter vacationing in Paris with his fiancé and her family. On a late night drunken stroll through the city streets, Pender spots a vintage 1920’s car that picks him up and takes him back in to the Jazz Age. While visiting the past, Pender encounters Modernist ex-patriates, Gertrude Stein, Pablo Picasso, Ernest Hemingway and both F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald.