From re-runs to return

Published: Monday, April 16, 2012

In 2005, three hit shows to emerge on television were “Desperate Housewives” and “The Office,” and “House.” They were huge then, but how often do you hear about them now?

Ironically, the underdog of 2005, “How I Met Your Mother,” is more successful than any of its past rivals. Already seven seasons in and HIMYM is scoring its best ratings yet. The audience, which ranges from 18 to 49 year olds, has raised 20 percent this year alone. The show now sits comfortably at its No. 8 slot, compared to all other entertainment category shows currently being played on television.

But why the sudden change?

“I never watched ‘How I Met Your Mother’ before,” said Meghan Smith, a 4th-semester business major, “but I saw it on Netflix during winter break and I’ve been hooked ever since.”

Reruns are considered the sole explanation for the show’s revival. Since the first couple seasons were featured on Netflix, and reruns began to air on the FX and Lifetime channels, viewership has increased 30 percent since September, when they were first re-played.

In addition to that, the cast is becoming better known as well. Jason Segel is no longer just the goofy Marshall as he is portrayed in the show. Now he wrote “The Muppets” and starred as the overall funny guy in “Forgetting Sarah Marshall,” “I Love You Man” and upcoming “Five Year Engagement.” Neil Patrick Harris is also gaining fame by hosting the Emmy and Tony awards and making hilarious guest appearances in every Harold and Kumar movie.

“How I Met Your Mother” hilariously recounts the story of a father in the year 2030 telling his children the plot-twisting, never-ending story of how he met their mother. Tune in every Monday on CBS to watch new episodes, or join the Netflix craze, where the first six seasons are up.