FroyoWorld a great stop to indulge your sweet tooth

Published: Monday, October 8, 2012

froyoworld

KEVIN SCHELLER/The Daily Campus

FroyoWorld, a ‘frozen yogurt lounge’ offers an array of frozen yogurt flavors and a variety of options of toppings, including fruit, candy and chocolate.

Sometimes you can’t help but give in to your sweet tooth. But if you’re looking for a treat without the guilt of consuming loads of calories, “indulge yourself,” as the FroyoWorld motto states, in a healthy dessert alternative – frozen yogurt.

FroyoWorld is a self-serve frozen yogurt lounge that sells 100 percent natural and low-fat or non-fat products, packed with probiotics, or microorganisms that help to maintain balanced immune and digestive systems.

With the vision to establish Connecticut’s first self-serve frozen yogurt place, William Bok launched Froyoworld in New Haven near Yale University in 2010. Since then, the company has been rapidly expanding within and outside state lines, bringing in about two dozen already existing and prospective franchises. Stores have sprung up in Middletown, North Haven, Westport, Mystic and several other towns across Connecticut. There are also locations in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Puerto Rico.

I stopped in last Sunday for my first FroyoWorld experience. For a gray, moody afternoon, the store was relatively busy. Families and students sat along the white booth and chairs with tree-like backs. This froyo heaven exudes a joyful charm – vibrant turquoise and pink walls, little vases with flowers near the front window and mosaics coating the wall around the frozen yogurt dispensers. In the back, a smiling yellow globe stands on top of a circular table with his arms out wide as if to invite you to grab a cup.

Once you’ve selected a cup size, you can choose from 12 different frozen yogurt and sorbet flavors. While eight of the flavors always remain the same, the other four vary every two to three weeks. In addition to the names of the flavors, an electronic monitor displays the nutritional information. If you have trouble deciding which flavor(s) to pick, you can always ask for a sample. A variety of toppings are offered, including freshly chopped fruit, chocolate candies, crunchy treats and other tasty goodies. Your cup is then weighed at the counter. The retail price is $0.49 per ounce.

I opted for the original tart and Thanksgiving pumpkin pie, topping them off with slices of mango, strawberries and a handful of mochi (tiny rice cake balls). Both flavors were milky good. The pumpkin one conjured up that all the warm, homey feelings of this windy, leaf-color-changing time of year. The original tart, however, won my heart a bit more, making me yearn for more. There’s something about frozen yogurt that I find utterly delectable, especially when the tartness of the yogurt lingers after each bite. FroyoWorld has this part down cold (pardon the pun). Bbased on my other frozen yogurt experiences, I still would give Pinkberry an edge over Froyo in overall yogurtness, but they come quite close.

Next time I return to Froyo, I would choose the raspberry tart. Sometimes with fruit-flavored products, only a hint of the fruit can be detected. Despite how strange this sounds, all of Froyo’s flavors are “true to taste,” as their website claims. Some flavors can be overpowering after a while, like Dutch chocolate and red velvet. They’re not for everyone. For those who pine for something that will send your taste buds on a high, I recommend birthday cake mix. It’s too sweet for my palate, but one of the Froyo workers who gave me the samples said it’s a popular choice.

It is no wonder they’ve been doing so well. Clearly a lot of enthusiasm, dedication and support has gone into the operation. Cec Amado, manager of the Storrs Froyo, prides the business on their strict cleaning regulations, newly prepared fruit from top-quality markets and off-the-record recipes.

Mel Reid, a 1st-semester neuroscience major, said, “It had a great atmosphere – family-friendly, hip and open… All the samples I tried were very good. I would go here every day if I could.” I would if I could, too.

Even though the remaining warm days are dwindling and the increasingly chilly weather may keep you indoors, it’s hard to say no to those sweet cravings that hit us all once in a while. Consider heading over to FroyoWorld, 1 Dog Lane, for a delightful treat. The store is open all year-round, Monday through Sunday, 11 a.m. to midnight.