Ghost hunter provides insight into local paranormal mysteries

Published: Friday, October 28, 2011

When things go bump in the night or strange shadowy figures plague your home with fright, there is a certain person that many people turn to in order to get answers: one of the original ghost hunters, Lorraine Warren.

As boasted on her website www.edandlorrainewarren.com, Warren is known for her special skills as a clairvoyant, or psychic. She is also a light trance medium and can see the colors and light generated from people's auras. At a presentation she gave at Naugatuck High School, Warren claimed that she could see the life spans of people through their aura. However, she refuses to tell people when their time is up.

Warren has done many investigations over her 60-year career, including well-known locations such as the Amityville Horror, Guntown Cemetery, Dudleytown and many other cases. She has helped with exorcisms and has bore witness to many events of paranormal activity. However, one of her main missions is to help people who need of assistance to get rid of negative energy and unwanted activity in their homes.

"I feel that Lorraine Warren is an amazing psychic and an amazing person. She uses her abilities to help people both living and deceased. She is also extremely knowledgeable about the paranormal," said Stephanie Creager, a student at Southern Connecticut State University.

"If you want to learn more about the paranormal or you ever find yourself facing something paranormal she is the person to go to. I find her work extremely fascinating and I commend her on her ability to face the nightmares that everyday people don't even want to accept as reality."

Originally, Lorraine Warren partnered with her late husband Ed Warren to investigate paranormal happenings. Both Lorraine and Ed were born in Bridgeport, Conn. and stayed in Connecticut for most of their lives. They began their ghost hunting adventures in their early twenties while traveling around New England, selling paintings in order to pay their way.

It was from these trips that their interest in the supernatural grew, according to their website. The couple encountered many strange phenomenons during their journey, many of which were here in Connecticut. They have collected many objects over the years that are believed to be possessed by demons, spirits or negative beings.

After the passing of her husband in 2006, Warren continued her work with the supernatural and even guest starred on the hit show "Paranormal State." The Warrens also have their own museum showing off the haunted relics they have collected. Warren's nephew, John Zaffis, who has his own show on the SyFy channel called, "The Haunted Collector," was inspired by the Warren's haunted collection. Many of the items that Zaffis collects on the show are brought back to the Warren's museum for safekeeping. Warren's museum is located in Stratford, Conn. and it is open to the public for a special fee, though it is not for those who are faint at heart.

Warren continues her research into the supernatural and tours schools across the region giving lectures on her experiences. During with these lectures she shows photos, videos and sound clips of what she claims to be paranormal activity with the hope of making believers out of her audiences.