Lifesaver smart phone apps: Five tools to make life easier

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 00:10

When it comes down to it, smart phones can be downright handy. With everything from GPS to graphing calculators, these devices can get anyone out of a pickle.

For college students, smart phones are nearly a necessity to keep up with emails, do on the spot research in class and keep in touch with everyone at home.

Smart phones have enabled our generation to have access to more information and technology than we could have ever dreamed. So how do we apply the smart phone’s amazing capabilities to our college lifestyle? Here are five nifty apps to help students get through the day.

1. WhatsApp.

This intelligently titled app allows users to communicate with any other user on the server regardless of where they are in the world. That’s right, no roaming charges (is that even a thing anymore?) and no long distance charges. That means if your best friend is studying abroad in China, you can send her a text message or a voicemail, assuming she is also a member of the service. And the best part? It’s 100 percent free of charge. Keep in touch with all of your friends as they travel the world and stay in contact with exchange students when they return home.

2. Quick Scan
For students living off campus and even for those who don’t, Quick Scan is essential for saving money. The app scans the barcodes of products and then shows you where you can find the product for less and will even give you directions to the store with the best deal. With two Big Y’s, a Wal-Mart and a Price Chopper coming soon, it’s safe to say that this app will become very useful. After all, what college student wants to spend $4.65 on a package of Oreos when they can save a $1.25?
3. Sleep Cycle
Sleep Cycle is a friendly app that monitors your sleeping patterns. Sound creepy? You’ll love it. While tracking your sleeping habits, it automatically sets to the hour you want to get up and wakes you up during your lightest sleep phase, usually within 30 minutes of an hour. If you’re feeling groggy in the a.m., it might be worth a try. Who wouldn’t want to wake up well rested?
4.Find My iPhone
How many times has the average college student lost their iPhone? Whether it is left at the bar on Thursday night, or gets stuck between the cushions of a friend’s couch, losing an iPhone is not fun. Download the app and make sure that you’ll always know where your phone is! You can log into an iOS device, from a MacBook to an iPod, and avoid the hassle of trying to retrace your steps!
5. Evernote
On the more studious side, Evernote allows you to take notes on any device and compile them in one place. No more taking notes in five different notebooks or USB drives. Not only will your notes always look tidy and printed, but you can take pictures and add them to your notes hassle-free. Make your notes complete with Evernote.