Looking ahead to 2013’s releases

Published: Tuesday, December 4, 2012

With 2012 winding down to a close and only a few game releases slated between now and the year’s end, as gamers are undoubtedly busy playing recent releases including “Call of Duty: Black Ops 2,” “Halo 4” and the like, one need only take a look at the calendar to be reminded that some major game releases are slated for the early months of 2013.  While 2011 is fondly remembered for being a giant year for AAA titles, if the early months are any indication, 2013 just might rival that colossal year.

“Bioshock Infinite,” the first title from Irrational Games and creative director Ken Levine since 2007’s “Bioshock,” the title will place players atop the floating American city of Colombia at the dawn of the 20th century.  “Infinite,” like its predecessor, belongs to that all too rare genre of the solely single player first person shooter, while also combining elements of role playing games.

“Tomb Raider” will attempt to reboot the classic series in an attempt to create something the series hasn’t seen since the 90’s; a blockbuster.  The game, designed to be rated “M,” attempts to inject a dose of survival into the gameplay of the typical action platformer series.  On the gunplay front, cover and shooting mechanics have wisely been carried over from the “Uncharted” series.  

“Grand Theft Auto V” needs no introduction; its predecessor stands as the 4th most critically acclaimed game of all time on review aggregate site gamerankings.com.  Returning players to the fictitious city of Los Santos (a.k.a. L.A.), the map is said to be larger than those of GTA IV, GTA San Andreas and Red Dead Redemption combined.  Players will play as three separate protagonists, a series first and multiplayer will be returning as well.

Other heavy hitters slated for release early next year include “Metal Gear Rising Revengance” a hack and slash take on the stealth series, “God of War Ascension,” the first installment in the series to feature multiplayer and “Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm” the latest in Blizzard’s real time strategy series.

One also mustn’t forget that the latter half of 2013 will be packed full of new releases, spurred by the releases of the next generation Playstation and Xbox consoles whose existence and late 2013 release, barring an official announcement, are almost certainties.  

In addition, it’s all too easy to forget the fact that numerous anticipated games can quite possibly be released in 2013 such as “Watch Dogs” and “Star Wars: 1313,” they simply have not had release dates announced as of yet. And of course, the 2013 E3 expo will surely be packed with surprise announcements, per usual. Considering the fact that all three console manufacturers, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft, have next to no major first part releases slated for next year, E3 2013 will undoubtedly be one of the most exciting conventions in years.