Losing sight of the sport

Published: Thursday, January 31, 2013

For all practical purposes, Super Bowl Sunday has become an American holiday. A day initially intended to determine the world’s best football team has become a national monument to our entertainment industries. Most Americans will watch the Super Bowl to be entertained by advertisements, musicians, performers and television personalities. Football, the point of the entire event, has become an afterthought.

The Super Bowl began in 1967 as a championship game that matched the National Football League’s best team against the rival American Football League’s best team. After the success of the first game, the Super Bowl experiment continued and does to this day. The success of the first Super Bowl led to both leagues being officially united under the N.F.L. and to the rise of football as America’s favorite, most popular sport.

While the Super Bowl undoubtedly plays an important role in the sporting world, it now plays an even greater role in the pop culture and entertainment worlds. The halftime performer and national anthem singers get as much national publicity as the head coaches and quarterbacks. Audiences submit themselves to watching football in order to get to the commercials, beer and wings are primary concerns, not jerseys and hats.

To be frank, this is all backwards. If you prefer entertainment to sports, compare the Super Bowl to a Drake concert. The game has your leg twitching and your eyes wide and all of a sudden; three minutes of commercials. Drake drops “Successful,” “Best I Ever Had,” then “Headlines,” and then, a mime comes out and juggles for ten minutes.

The football action is really heating up. Kaepernick is driving, then fumbles. The Ravens are driving and score a touchdown with ten seconds to go in the half and the game looks aweso-- forty minute halftime show.

Drizzy goes with “Over,” “Fancy” and “Take Care,” and then he busts out 2 Chainz and drop “No Lie”, and just when things can’t get crazier, A$AP Rocky comes out and they all 3 perform “F*ckin’ Problems.” Then, halfway through an already incredible set list ,an hour of the International Senior Citizen’s Croquette Championship, on mute.

If football is your primary source for Super Bowl entertainment, everything else is a terrible distraction. While seeing Beyonce on TV is cool, nothing could be more exciting than watching two teams playing excellent football for sixty minutes. Commercials might be funny for some, but for others, they’re nothing more than bathroom breaks.

Unfortunately for football fans, you can expect more commercials, more singing, and more non-football entertainment this year than ever before. My advice-- enjoy Super Bowl XLVII because next year promises to be even less football-orientated.