Magical time at the most magical place on Earth

Published: Thursday, November 29, 2012

While Walt Disney World is the world’s most popular vacation destination year-round, the absolute best time to visit is from mid-November through the end of December, when the entire resort is decked out in Christmas decorations and special presentations. After all, Walt Disney himself referred to Christmas as, “That Disney time of year.” Without further adieu, these are the top five things to check out if you are visiting the Walt Disney Resort during the holiday season.

Enjoy the décor- If there’s any place on the planet that truly decks the halls in preparation for Kris Kringle’s annual visit, it’s Disney World. Every inch of the Magic Kingdom and Epcot parks are coated in tinsel during the Christmas season. In particular, make sure to witness the beauty of the lights on display on Main Street U.S.A. leading up the iconic Cinderella Castle, which is coated in holiday “dreamlights” at the Magic Kingdom. Do yourself another favor and stroll around the decked-out World Showcase pavilions at Epcot. The decor doesn’t stop at the parks however. Most Disney resorts truly decorate spectacularly for the holiday season. Even if you aren’t staying on the property, make sure to check out the decorations at The Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and Yacht Club resorts.

Tired of that annoying neighbor who’s always over doing the light decorations on his house? Trust me, he will eat his words if he ever lays eyes on the annual “Osbourne Spectacle of Lights” over at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Witness the faux side streets of San Francisco and New York decked in blindingly bright Christmas lights. It’s not to be missed!
On the pricier side of things, a true treat for all ages is the special event, “Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.” Offered on select nights at the Magic Kingdom, the event grants you admission to the park after hours. Among the Disney touches added for the event are a special parade, exclusive merchandise, a stage show with Mickey Mouse and a spectacular fireworks display, not to mention the complimentary hot chocolate. However, the icing on the cake is the “snow” (foam flake) machines that lightly coat Main Street USA. It all makes for beautiful holiday scene.

A simple, yet personal favorite, is the bakery on Main Street USA at the Magic Kingdom, which features classic holiday sweets. Whether it be a peppermint cupcake or a simple gingerbread man, these fresh-baked goodies are irresistible.

While for the most part this is an unranked listing, the absolute most spectacular thing you can do at the Walt Disney Resort if you are fortunate enough to be visiting during the holiday season is the special holiday presentation of the Epcot fireworks spectacular, “Illuminations: Reflections of Earth.” Taking place on the waters of the World Showcase lagoon as the illuminated pavilions of nations surround you, the usual show is spectacular in its own right. Yet the extra few minutes added to the holiday presentation make this hands-down the very best outdoor presentation (barring Fantasmic) that you’ll find in an American Disney Park.