Matt Damon's best movies

Published: Monday, February 3, 2014

Updated: Monday, February 3, 2014 21:02

This Friday, “The Monuments Men” will be released into theaters after being previously postponed. Matt Damon stars in the film adding another major release to his impressive resume. Here is a look back at Matt Damon’s best movies.

“Good Will Hunting”: This is the movie that made Matt Damon the household name he is today and earned him an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. ‘Good Will Hunting’ tells the story of a gifted Boston janitor working at MIT with a genius IQ. Although he has a brilliant gift for math, he chooses instead to ignore his talent. After a professor discovers him, he arranges for him to meet with a psychologist (Robin Williams) to help him sort out his issues. While he at first refuses his help, the psychologist never gives up on him and eventually discovers the harsh life he had to endure. The film was written by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck and established careers for both.

“The Talented Mr. Ripley”: Matt Damon plays Tom Ripley, a mysterious and unstable man who is sent under false pretenses to bring home a wealthy man’s son from Italy. When he fails to do so, Tom takes matters into his own hands and assumes his identity. Something of an overlooked and underrated gem, the film showed a very dark side of Matt Damon.

“Saving Private Ryan”: In what is perhaps the most epic movie ever made, Damon plays a soldier whose brothers have all been killed in WWII. A group of U.S. soldiers go behind enemy lines to find him and bring him back home. Although he is only present in the last third of the film, Damon gives a strong supporting performance in Steven Spielberg’s epic masterpiece.

“The Departed”: Martin Scorsese leaves his typical New York City setting behind for a look at the Boston criminal underworld. This best picture winning film tells the story of an undercover state police officer in the mob and an undercover criminal in the state police both searching for each other’s identities. Damon plays a ruthless sociopath pretending to be a cop. His Boston accent may not be the most impressive, but he brings a lot to his character and manages to stand up against an ensemble cast comprising Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen and Alec Baldwin among others.

The “Bourne” Series: I never would have thought Matt Damon could be an action star after “Good Will Hunting,” but I suppose a good actor can pull off anything. Damon plays Jason Bourne, a CIA assassin who finds himself hunted after a fall gives him amnesia causing him to fail a mission. “The Bourne Identity” was a solid action movie, but its’ sequels, “The Bourne Supremacy” and “The Bourne Ultimatum,” really stand out as two of the best espionage action thrillers of all time. The two sequels made Jason Bourne the cultural icon that James Bond is and showed us that just because Matt Damon looks like he would cry if you punched him in real life, it doesn’t mean that he can’t convince you on screen otherwise.