MTV revamping old story lines

Campus Correspondant

Published: Sunday, November 4, 2012

Every few years Hollywood makes a new TV show about 20-somethings living in a big city whose post-College dreams didn’t exactly come true. This is particularly timely as we get closer and closer to May and millions of new college graduates will be trying to live out their dreams. 

Underemployed, the newest scripted series on MTV starts off with five friends graduating from college in Chicago with huge hopes and dreams…and then find themselves working various minimum wage jobs or unpaid internships. Sound cliché? Well Underemployed is slightly cliché but it is also unique in the problems faced by the young college grads. 

The familiar 20-something show storylines are all there: the no rent money storyline, the “I want to be a model/actor but I’m a caterer” storyline, the “I hate my parents” storyline, the “Why is everybody but me successful” storyline, but Underemployed throws in the “I slept with my older boss who has a girlfriend and then blackmailed him into making me a paid employee” storyline. You hadn’t heard that one before had you? Neither had I. Yes there’s a cliché unexpected pregnancy in the first 15 minutes, but there’s also a scene where the new father tries to ask his pregnant ex-girlfriend if the baby is actually his. To me the way Underemployed takes familiar aspects that we have all seen before and then adds to them or modifies them in new and unique ways is what I enjoyed about the show. 

The cast of up and coming actors including Diego Boneta (Pretty Little Liars, Rock of Ages), Jared Kusnitz (Secret Life of the American Teenager), Inbar Laavi, Michelle Ang, and Sarah Habel are all great and nail every scene. The acting is actually really good and not at all stilted and awkward, which can often be the case in these shows. The dialogue is also really funny and its obvious that the writers and producers writing the scripts know what they’re talking about, and are not middle aged men and women trying to remember back to the 1970s

Yes, if you’re a junior or a senior Underemployed will make you nervous at times as you wonder what’ll happen to you after graduation in six months or 18 months, but Underemployed also makes you laugh so much that you’ll forget all about how you have absolutely no idea what you’ll be doing after you walk across that stage. Underemployed airs Tuesdays at 10:00 on MTV.