‘My Head is an Animal’ showcases band’s strengths

Published: Thursday, April 12, 2012

There are high expectations for a band coming from Iceland, the home of other successful acts such as Björk, and Sigur Rós. Both have produced experimental and distinct sounds that are quite unlike anything produced in the States.

Though this sextet doesn’t lean toward that genre, their sound cannot be described as anything but captivating or euphoric. Releasing an EP, “Into the Woods” earlier this year, they gave the public high hopes of what was to come. Fortunately for Of Monsters and Men, the band’s debut record “My Head is an Animal,” does everything but disappoint.

It’s obvious marketing tool to put your strongest tracks at the beginning of your album because most listeners are too lazy to go through the whole thing, so if they tend to like the first couple tracks, they will buy the whole album. The problem that happens most of the time with is that once you get to track 5 – 7, you begin to question why did you spend 16 bucks on an album when you only like three of the songs on it.

After having “My Head is an Animal” on repeat for the past couple of days, it was clear to me that this record is an exception to that concept. Opening with one of the strongest tracks of the record “Black Paws,” Of Monsters and Men foreshadowed that their “Into the Woods” EP was just a small portion of their undeniable talent. Other highlights from the record include, “Mountain Sound,” “Lakehouse,” “Yellow Light,” “Love Love Love,” and their latest single “Little Talks.”

Mixing the record up between their strong instrumentation and upbeat sounds with softer, and more empathetic tones, Of Monsters And Men show growth and variety that will easily help them gave a variety of fans.

Overall, “My Head is an Animal” plays into Of Monsters and Men’s strengths, which are their creative yet enticing use of horns or the acoustic guitar and their haunting harmonies between the two lead vocalists Nanna and Riggs. Often compared to the likes of Mumford and Sons, Arcade Fire, and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Of Monster and Men have in fact created their own sound and produced a record that will keep you listening through this summer.