Need to know tips for procrastinators

Published: Thursday, February 14, 2013

It’s a standard practice that most people follow instinctively. Whenever you plan a trip, book the hotel room as early as possible to guarantee that you’ll have a place to stay. What if there was an app that made the reverse true, rewarding the procrastinators who have waited until the last second?
Hotel Tonight is one of those apps that seem too good to be true. Available free for both iOS and Android devices, the app allows users to book last minute hotel rooms in some of the most popular tourist tourist hot spots in over 30 U.S. cities with limited select offerings in Canada, Mexico, the U.K., Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, France and Switzerland.

Now how sweet are these deals? Well that’s almost impossible to answer due to the daily variation in hotels and rooms offered. But I’ve seen some amazing deals including rooms below $50 in Las Vegas and rooms cheaper than $180 in Boston and New York. As one well versed about the costs and quality of hotels in cities such as these, I can tell these deals are quite incredible. Better yet, sometimes you can book a hotel at a low rate for a multi night stay all at the last minute.

How exactly are these prices offered? Hotels in cities ever where have various cancellations and other obstacles that lead to some last minute vacancies. Rather than lose a nights profit, these last minute rooms are offered at discounts in the hopes someone will take them. As such, you never know which hotels and rooms will be available on the app each day. The offerings are listed at noon local time per city you wish to price shop. You have until 2 a.m. local time to book a room if you really want to push your luck.

Offering some truly luxurious hotels and rooms last minute at great deal pricing, makes Hotel Tonight a must have app for the spring break traveler.

Other tips include:
1. Plan Your Destination Wisely: Let’s be honest, if you intend to spend your spring break week partying and drinking non-stop, you really shouldn’t be wasting money going to a premium destination; you probably won’t remember much of it anyway. Therefore, instead of setting your sights on Las Vegas or Miami, try looking for more affordable locations in the sun. South Carolina comes to mind; its warm, clean and there’s probably a better value to be found then in a Florida hotspot. Shop around, and be smart.

2. Carpooling is awesome: If you’re willing to pack four or five people in a car, even with $four/gallon gas prices, you can still save a bundle compared to buy four airfare or train tickets.

3. Avoid theme parks: Remember its not only college students who get a spring break from school. Destinations such as Walt Disney World and Universal Studios Orlando are mobbed during this time of year, making for long lines and a lot less fun. Not to mention room rates dramatically increase during those times as well.

4. You will get ripped off: Especially if you go to a big city, remember two things. 1. Cab drivers can and will cost you a fortune and/or rip you off so avoid them if you can. 2. Carry your wallet in your front pocket. Pick pocketing is much easier in large, crowded areas.