Nostalgia 101: The Wonders of the 90s: ‘Good Burger’ lacks plot

Published: Sunday, February 2, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 2, 2014 22:02

If you were a fan of “All That” and “Kenan and Kel” back in the day, you probably also saw the Nickelodeon feature film, “Good Burger.”

Starring Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell, “Good Burger” has been called “the movie of our generation” and “better than ‘Schindler’s List’ and ‘The Godfather’ combined.” The film masters cinematography as well as plot structure, over-arching themes and academic integrity.

I recently watched this movie for the first time since probably 1998, and I was actually in pain watching some of it. I understand how I liked the movie when I was six years old, but as a college student it really holds nothing more for me than nostalgia.

A while back, I wrote a column about “Kenan and Kel” their regularly scheduled 90s TV program and recounted how much I enjoyed the show, which I hold to be true, but the dialogue in “Good Burger” was just difficult to sit through.

Kenan and Kel play roles similar to the TV show, but with different names and in the movie, this is the first time they have met. I wonder how hard it was for them to suppress the urge to call each other by their first names, which they also go by as their TV characters, while shooting.

There were a few times during the movie where Kenan or Dexter, walked away and I was waiting for Kel to say, “Kenan, hey Kenan. KENAN! Aw here it goes!” but it never came.

I joked earlier that the plot of the movie had some sort of brilliant qualities. That couldn’t be farther from the truth. The plot of the movie is clearly its weakest part. But it’s a movie for little kids and it did well enough for its audience.

If you haven’t seen the movie in a while, here’s a refresher. Dexter, driving without a license, gets into a car accident and needs to look for a summer job. He finds Good Burger, a local fast-food place. That’s where he meets Kel’s character Ed.

Around the same time, Mondo Burger, a new burger place, opens across the street to try and put Good Burger out of business. Dexter and Ed must find a way to save Good Burger from the clutches of the evil Mondo Burger corporation.

In the original “Good Burger” skits from “All That,” neither Dexter nor Mondo Burger ever appear. It’s mostly just Ed being the most incompetent worker that we all have nightmares about dealing with in any sort of retail experience.

Actually, in one of the old skits from “All That” Kenan appears as a plumber. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when Dexter and Ed first meet and Dexter is sure that he has seen Ed before somewhere and Ed says, “maybe I’m someone famous?”

Anyway, the reason that this film is worth watching is that, for one, it’s on Netflix which makes everything easier, and two, it’s a good representation of comedy in the 90s. There’s plenty of slapstick humor, over the top scenarios and probably one of the only music dance numbers ever to take place in a mental health facility.