Pianist dazzles with Mozart

Campus Correspondant

Published: Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pianist dazzles with Mozart

Jon Kulakofsky/The Daily Campus

Von der Mehden Recital Hall was alive with the sound of music Sunday night as famed pianist Hyun Ju Jang performed a piano recital on UConn’s campus. Jang, currently a graduate student at UConn, came onstage ready to dazzle audiences with her mastery of the piano.

Jung began the night with Mozart’s “Piano Sonata” in C major. Following this were selections from Grieg’s lyric pieces including “Arietta,” “Butterfly” and “The Lonely Wanderer.”  She continued the night with some more modern music like Carl Vine’s “Five Bagatelles” (1994) before going back to the more classical theme with her penultimate piece, Beethoven’s Sonata “Quasi una fantasia, Op. 27 No. 1 in E flat Major.” She concluded with Chopin’s “Ballade No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 23. “

Jung began each piece with a bow to the audience and ended it with thanks.  David Dorfman, a Fifth Semester Musical Performance Major, found her playing to be, “Really Fantastic.  I’ve heard her before at convocation, and have wanted to hear her in person for a while.  She played wonderfully.”

Ms. Jang is quite well known to the musical world.  She has received multiple degrees from a variety of different schools, including a Masters of Music from Mannes College and Artist Diploma in Piano Performance at the Yale School of Music. She is currently working towards her Doctor of Musical Arts at UConn.  Ms. Jang has won numerous awards over the course of her career, including the first prize in the 2006 Summit Music Festival Concerto Competition in Tarrytown, NY and the Seoul National University Concerto Competition.  She was also awarded the Elizabeth Parisot Prize at Yale.

While students came out to recognize Jang’s talents, other students came out because they had to, but enjoyed the show anyway. First semester physiology/neurobiology major Zana Khoury came to the show to fulfill a requirement for class, but “found it great!  I play trumpet with the marching band, so it’s really nice to hear something new.”

Jung has a penchant for group performances, having performed with many other artists over the course of her career, including the Brentano string quartet, Stephen Clapp, and David Shifrin.