Planning the big date, within walking distance

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013

At long last, it’s February - that wonderful time of the year when those of us with someone special take an extra day to let them know how much we love them: Valentine’s Day. And for all you lovebirds out there, there’s nothing more heartwarming than a nice romantic romp around town. However, something I hear very often around campus is that people don’t know where to take someone out for a fine evening. This isn’t surprising. The majority of students don’t have a car and eat in the dining halls each night, only occasionally ordering wings or pizza. Fear not, though. I have a few places in mind, all within walking distance, that will guarantee you and your valentine a night to remember. I know we don’t all necessarily have somebody to spend the day with, but don’t let that get you down. Valentine’s Day is about love, whether it’s platonic or romantic. Go get a close friend and just have some fun together at any of these fine locales.

For those of you who will settle for no less than the classiest and most romantic location around town, I can’t recommend anything more strongly than the Blue Oak Restaurant, located in the Nathan Hale Inn, directly across from South Campus. The food is top notch. The downside to all this, of course, would be the cost. Most of the entrees go for $20 or more, so a nice dinner with an appetizer, a few drinks and dessert could easily bring the cost over $100, which is a bit much for poor college students.

Those looking for something a little less fancy may want to try heading to Chuck and Augie’s in the Student Union, or the True Blue Tavern, also located in the Nathan Hale Inn. Each features typical bar-fare, but both are definitely tasty. The True Blue is more of a sports bar, so make sure your sweetie enjoys that sort of thing before taking him or her there. Be forewarned, however, Chuck and Augie’s is going to be especially busy on Valentine’s Day, so I suggest you get yourself a reservation soon. They’re both moderately priced and feature some serious UConn charm. And if it turns out that none of these places interest you, grab a quick dinner at Sgt. Pep’s or Wings Over Storrs for a cheap, easy dinner.

After dinner, there are a myriad of places to go to extend the night. A walk on Horsebarn Hill can make for a romantic winter evening. A trip to Insomnia Cookies or Sweet Emotions Candy shop is a great idea for a cutesy dessert outing. The Game Room in the Student Union is also a geeky way to have some fun with someone. For the price of a few tokens, a few games of Dance Dance Revolution or Time Crisis can provide a lot of fun memories for the two of you to share.