Rise of electronic music festivals

Published: Thursday, February 14, 2013

Electric Forest Photo

Photo from ElectricForestFestival.com

Lasers and colored lights fill the camp grounds at Electric Forest Festival.

What festival are you most excited for?

View results

It’s no secret why electronic music festivals are becoming so popular. There’s no way to fully describe the unique and wonderful experience that comes from dancing to your favorite artists under the summer sun. Try and ignore the mounds of snow outside your window, and keep in mind that summer is closer than you think. Big music festivals have just started selling tickets (and by just, I mean this past week) which, might I add, sell out and get expensive very quickly. Does two to three days of electronic music interest you at all? If so keep reading…
Electric Daisy Carnival (New York City):
If you can’t make it out to Las Vegas for the original EDC, don’t worry, EDC-New York takes place May 17 and 18 at Citi Field in NYC. Want something a little more than just the music? It does say Carnival in the name, meaning not only is there an incredible lineup every year but also rides. Why not take a break from dancing and hop on a Ferris wheel? If you’re a little unfamiliar with festivals, the lineup usually doesn’t get released until much later. Some of last year’s big names included: Afrojack, Avicii, Bassnectar, Calvin Harris, Carl Cox, Fatboy Slim, Sebastian Ingrosso and much more worth seeing. Currently, a two-day pass will run at about $215.00.

Camp Bisco (Near Albany New York):
Maybe two days isn’t enough? Not to worry, Camp Bisco is a three-day festival being held at Indian Lookout Country Club, right outside Albany, on July 11-13. Perhaps you wanted to go camping sometime this summer? Lucky for you, you camp there. The price of the ticket includes a pass for one of the best festivals of the summer, and a place to set up your tent. Not a bad deal. Last year’s lineup included: The Disco Biscuits, Skrillex, Kill the Noise, Zeds Dead, Porter Robinson, Big Gigantic and more. Tickets are currently running at about $185.00, and a little extra for parking if you want to have your car.

Electric Zoo (New York – Randall’s Island):
Alright, it’s labor day weekend, the summer is coming to a close, you want to go to one more festival? Electric Zoo is held every year on Randall’s Island in N.Y., Aug. 30- Sept. 1. Transportation is provided via ferry boat or bus. Last year’s attendance ran at just about 110,000 people, a small number by no means. The lineup has said to improve every year as last year featured: David Guetta, Pretty Lights, Dada Life, Steve Aoki, Knife Party, Tiesto and Skrillex. Tickets for all three days will run at about $329.00 for right now. Yes, I’ll admit Electric Zoo is a little pricy, but well worth it, and a fantastic way to close out your 2013 summer.

If you love music, dancing and want a great way to have a memorable summer check out one (or all) of these festivals.

Some others to look into: Bonnaroo (TN), Lollapalooza (IL), Electric Forest (MI), Gathering of the Vibes (CT), Identity Festival (NY) and The Governor’s Ball (NY).